Jessi's Reviews > Forever

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Sep 21, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook, contemporary-fiction, fantasy, romance, teen
Read in September, 2011

First line: "I can be so, so quiet."

This was a satisfying end to one of my favorite series - although as with all endings it is also bittersweet. As always, I simply loved the relationship between Sam and Grace. It is truly a sound model for romantic relationships based on not only passion (although the tension is often palpable) but also on the deeper appreciation of the other person, the ongoing process of becoming two parts of a whole. The rockier relationship demonstrated between Cole and Isabel was an interesting contrast to the steady love of Grace and Sam. It analyzed other aspects of the importance of personal healing to romantic love. Stiefvater delved into some pretty deep issues, including the inevitable realization that our parents are human and thus fallible. The audiobook narrators did an amazing job bringing the characters to life – and I was impressed by the author’s rendition of the first chapter as author readings don’t always go so well. Many aspects of the story were a bit predictable, but Stiefvater's magic is not in the plotting but in the creation of real characters and believable relationships. I will be adding Shiver, Linger and Forever to my bookshelves to keep on hand when I need a deep, comforting read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.

05/05/2014 marked as: romance