Lea's Reviews > Southern Gods

Southern Gods by John Hornor Jacobs

Jan 22, 13

bookshelves: acquired-2012, books-i-own, reviews, read-2013

I really wanted to like this one a lot more than I did. There were just some issues with it that I couldn't get past:

First of all, the story took a few turns that were much darker than what I'm comfortable with. Once the shit hits the fan, the author is ready, willing, and able to explore depravity and violence -- and some of it is pretty extreme. This just isn't my kind of thing.

I had a problem with some of the timing of the events -- sometimes this books drags a bit, but sometimes things leap forward in an unrealistic way. The characters had no problem accepting some pretty bizarre theories as fact -- in some cases they had the supernatural right in front of them, so accepting those things seemed natural. But at other times they seemed to believe without any compelling reason to do so. That just irritated me -- I would have liked their reactions to have been more consistent and realistic.

Not enough Mythos!! I can't stress this enough -- I bought this book on the Lovecraft selling point. Although there are mentions of the Old Ones, this really isn't a Lovecraft homage. This might be a plus for some people, but it wasn't for me.

In terms of actually enjoying this book, I would give it 2 or 2.5 stars, but I bumped it up a bit due to really loving most of the characters. The author wrote characters that seemed real, and their interactions with each other were so true to life, it was lovely to read. I just wish he'd given them all a happier story to live in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Southern Gods.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki I JUST HAD TO HAVE THIS BOOK last October.
It's still in my stack.

message 2: by Lea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lea Melki wrote: "I JUST HAD TO HAVE THIS BOOK last October.
It's still in my stack."

Ha! Me, too -- I know I had it over a year before I actually read it!