Brandy's Reviews > Moonlight on Linoleum: A Daughter's Memoir

Moonlight on Linoleum by Terry Helwig

F 50x66
Sep 13, 11

Read in September, 2011

It has been a long time since I have read a memoir that captured my attention like Moonlight and Linoleum did. Sue Monk Kidd was correct when she said the world needed this book. Terry Helwig has a great voice and did a wonderful job making the reader understand the complexity of her family dynamics and the struggle between acceptance and disappointment. Reading her story I often forgot how young she and her sisters were. The struggles and every day life she and her sisters dealt with were so adult. They were forced to grow up yet were still just children. Her and her sisters are amazing. She tells how they adapted and allowed themselves to experience bits and pieces of childhood while facing the demands of a mother with her own demons. While this memoir could have been depressing and full of pity Terry does not evoke this out of the reader. Her attitude is so uplifting and you cheer her and her sisters on the whole book. Her life path was not easy but what an incredible woman appeared along the way!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonlight on Linoleum.