Lora's Reviews > Anne of Green Gables

4632071
Jan 10, 12

bookshelves: classics, lib-audiobooks
Recommended to Lora by: Jo
Recommended for: fans of children's classics
Read from January 08 to 09, 2012, read count: 1

Anne of Green Gables is the story of a young orphaned girl named, you guessed it, Anne. Born in Nova Scotia only to lose both of her parents from the fever at the age of three months, Anne has grown up in many households, never being able to stay in one place for long. As you can imagine, this has left young Anne feeling needy and unwanted.
And when siblings Marilla and Matthew decide to adopt a boy to help work on their farm, they never expect to get a girl instead. Naturally, their first instinct is to give her to someone else; but soon after, under the influence of Anne's pleading, they decide that with them is where she shall stay.
Read along in this classic as Anne performs in the Christmas concert, shuns the semi-romantic advances of Gilbert Blythe, and accidently gets her one true bosom friend drunk.

I won't lie — it took me a while to get into Anne's story. After all, this is children's literature and, for me, there is very few middle grade and/or children's books worthwhile. But because of some very trusted friends' opinions, I chose to persevere — and I'm so glad I did! Despite the rather slow start, Anne of Green Gables was a very pleasant and enchanting story to behold.

I believe my favorite aspect of this story is Anne's relationship with her stepparent, Matthew. Almost instantaneously, Matthew takes to Anne as if she were his biological daughter; to use Anne's own words, she and Matthew are kindred spirits. I only wish that parent/child relationships were written that way more often in juvenile literature today.

Thin, freckled, and with hair the color of carrots, Anne is ridiculed for her queer looks — but with a bright imagination and fierce determination to be loved and cared for, Anne soon makes many friends.
Like most girls her age, Anne is impulsive and high-strung. But she's also high-spirited and enthusiastic for what life has to offer. Even if you're not sold on Anne's character at first, most readers will fall for her by the end, just as I did.

RATING: First half - 2.5 stars; Second half - 4.5 stars. FINAL RATING: 3.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Green Gables.

01/08/2012

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Ohhh, you're reading this!

message 2: by Lora (last edited Jan 10, 2012 05:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora I just finished it, actually. If you're ever in the mood for a reread of this, you should try this audio version; it's really good.

Amber Great review Lora. I love this classic series of books. I had a soft spot for Mathew :)

Flannery Have you seen the movie? It is the rare case that makes me actually enjoy the book more when you read it because it is just perfectly done. If you haven't, you should definitely check it out. (view spoiler)

Cindy I enjoyed your review, I love Anne, and Gilbert they are adorable and frustrating at times:) I agree with Flannery the movies really made me love the books even more. I really wanted to go to Prince Edward Island after watching the movies they are really well done:)

message 6: by Sandy (last edited Jan 10, 2012 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandy Yes, watch the movies! (Except for that weird sequel they made many years later that completely departed from the original story...ugh.)

It's been years since I've read the entire series, but I recall it following a bit of a bell curve...starts out okay, ends okay, but gets really good somewhere in the middle. Anne and Gilbert are just one of those classic love stories, and I remember feverishly tearing through the books waiting for their big "confession of love" moment.

Lora @ Flannery - No, I've not seen any of the movies. Which adaptation is the best, though? Wikipedia shows several different ones.

And thanks everyone:)

Flannery Oh, definitely watch the Canadian television one with Megan Follows. (this is the first one:))

Lora Flannery wrote: "Oh, definitely watch the Canadian television one with Megan Follows. (this is the first one:))"

Thanks, Flann:) I'll definitely do that.

message 10: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa I've seen the movie and wanted to read the book version for a long time. It's a good thing you pointed out that it could be a slow start but gets better. I'll persevere. Great review BTW.

message 11: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora Thanks, Alyssa:) It does have a bit of a slow start IMO, but it's definitely worth reading to the end.

message 12: by paula (new)

paula Might wanna be a little careful with your adjectives. To say that Anne is ridiculed for her "queer" looks is offensive.

message 13: by Lora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lora Paula wrote: "Might wanna be a little careful with your adjectives. To say that Anne is ridiculed for her "queer" looks is offensive."

The original meaning for queer has nothing to do with homosexuals; Dictionary.com as well as Webster's will tell you that (although I'm sure you already know). I, obviously, meant it in the "strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint" sense, because I was referring to an 11-year-old character in a novel set in the early twentieth century, a period where, to the best of my knowledge, people didn't use queer in its modern, slang, derogatory form that would be offensive to homosexuals. I, for one, have many gay (used to just mean happy, now it is only used in reference to homosexuals, although they've not eliminated its original usage in the dictionary as of yet) friends who read my reviews, and I'm sure they or any other homosexual or heterosexual individual would see that I am clearly using queer for its original meaning in a fitting context, as Anne is a very, by conventional standards, odd looking little girl. (You'll notice that I described Anne as "Thin, freckled, and with hair the color of carrots" before I used queer, just for extra clarity that I am indeed meaning that she has odd looks, nothing more.)

And, FYI, I am a strong supporter of the GLBT community and would never intentionally offend them. I will not, however, give up using a perfectly fine word in its original meaning in the proper context, whenever the time seems fitting (like, say, in a review for an historical novel). That is, at least not until the Grammar Gods descend and eliminate its original meaning from the most reputable dictionaries (e.g. Oxford)

message 14: by Elsa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elsa I thought you said you liked it. Could it be a **** rating? You said 3 1/2 *, it could go either way.

Lesley I read Anne of Green Gables as a child, she was a heroine to all CANADIAN Girls. I've read it several times as an adult, and Anne never fails to enchant me. She's earned me buying a special beautiful book that is in my book collection forever. It's a wonderful book written so well. A Classic