Gayle's Reviews > I'm Not the Biggest Bitch in This Relationship: Hilarious, Heartwarming Tales About Man's Best Friend from America's Favorite Humorists

I'm Not the Biggest Bitch in This Relationship by Wade Rouse

Nov 09, 11

Read from October 26 to November 09, 2011

Author Wade Rouse is billed on the cover of this book as a “critically acclaimed memoirist,” and I have to admit my ignorance because, not only had I never heard of Wade Rouse, I had also never heard of a “memoirist.” Guess I need to get out more! It’s all Relative, another book by Mr. Rouse, has a familiar ring to it, so I’m thinking that this was probably an author that I meant to read, maybe put on my to-read later list, or simply made a note to self to read, then didn’t get around to it.

As far this book, it is a sometimes great read for those of us who have had a dog or two in our lives. I say sometimes because, like all books by multiple authors, you may find some of the stories funny and interesting, but you will also find others that don’t speak to you in the least, like the Rita Mae Brown story of Idler, who “came to me in 1994 from the late Mrs. Paul Summers, Jr., MFH, of Farmington Hunt Club...” I’m not a big one on hunting dogs of any kind, or the way that they are kenneled and used. But that’s just me.

I did relate to Jane Green’s Doberman story, the 120 pounder who could get any piece of food from any height, and who easily intimidated “sketchy-looking men in hoodies.” My last lab-mix, at 130 pounds, put many an “iffy” guy on the other side of the street for me, and could eat an entire box of doughnuts from atop the kitchen cabinet and close the lid when finished, so that when you came home you opened to an empty box!

Every dog owner, or former owner, has at least one story to tell. It’s a bit like being a parent and bragging to the other parents. This is what I’m not the biggest bitch... is doing, telling dog stories to other dog people; it probably won’t be appreciated by cat or bird or no pet people. Woven into some of the dog stories are humorous and realistic stories of gay couples that you don’t expect in a book about dogs. An overall enjoyable and quick read that will make you smile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Not the Biggest Bitch in This Relationship.