willaful's Reviews > Husband for Real

Husband for Real by Catherine George

Sep 14, 11

bookshelves: reunited-or-have-history, buddy-read-or-challenge, wager-contest-competition, angsty-goodness, impersonation-masquerade-deceit
Read from September 13 to 14, 2011, read count: 1

It’s hard to pull off a romance in which a couple have a fight, separate for years and then find themselves getting back together when one finally asks for a divorce: they’re usually too implausible, too sad, or both. This is one of the good ones -- in fact, in basic plot outline it’s quite similar to Private Arrangements, the all time great of this trope.

Rose and James fell in love in college, a relationship cunningly brought about by Rose’s friends as a joke. But it was no joking matter when James found out the truth shortly after they got married. Ten years later, Rose discovers that divorce after such a long separation is pretty simple and decides it’s time to make it official -- causing James to reappear in her life and old feelings to reemerge for them both.

George crafts the story to be believable. They’re young, their marriage is very quick, they never even had a chance to live together -- it’s understandable that a betrayal could cause a serious rift. And though both had yearned for reconciliation, when it appeared impossible they had each tried to move on with other partners and make new lives. There’s a twinge of sadness over what might have been, and a bigger twinge of heartbreak when they attempt to resurrect their relationship, but just enough for angsty goodness.

I might have given this a higher grade, but I was bothered by some “huh?” moments during their courtship. And a minor but persistent annoyance: why does his last name have to be mentioned all the time? He’s almost never just James, he’s “James Sinclair.” Pronounced weird, which makes it even more jarring. Othewise, kudos for a Harlequin Presents that’s realistic yet still romantic and passionate.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Husband for Real.

09/13/2011 page 45
23.0% "H: "In that case what the hell's the point of it all?" I'm wondering the same thing. WTH is the problem with these two?"
09/13/2011 page 69
36.0% "I'm starting to warm to it."

message 1: by D.G. (new)

D.G. I tend not to like this trope but maybe I give this (and Private Arrangements) a chance!

I also hate when the last names are mentioned all the time. I mean, WTH?

willaful I totally adore PA and we are often reading twins, so I say go for it!

I more often run into naming the name too often: "Jane, did you pick up the mail?" "Yes John, I did." "Was there anything interesting, Jane?" "Only a threatening letter from my stalker, John." "Jane, that is highly unnerving."

Vanessa I read one a LONG while back that constantly said the h's father's name. First and last name, IIRC, even the h did it too. His name: Bill Clinton. LOL!!

willaful Weird!