Marie's Reviews > Quiet, Please: Dispatches From A Public Librarian

Quiet, Please by Scott Douglas

May 04, 08

Recommended for: librarians and anybody who thinks we all sit around reading books all day
Read in May, 2008

Point one: it seems that my favorite books all make liberal use of footnotes: Terry Pratchett's oeuvre, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, even The Mezzanine.

Point two: I think I will force a copy into the hands of any patron who dares utter some variation on the theme "so this must be such a lovely, quiet job, getting to sit around and read all day."

Point three: I'm going to make my mother read it immediately so as to judge its effect on non-librarians. Will she laugh? Will she cry? Will she only look bemused and bewildered?

I attempted to read aloud to her the section towards the end about the Romantic Spanish Song-Singing Bathroom Man (complete with sombrero and fake cactus) but failed utterly; I'd be able to gasp out four or five words before having to spend several minutes wiping hysterical tears out of my eyes and composing myself enough to read another half-sentence.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet, Please.

Quotes Marie Liked

Scott Douglas
“There was the smell of old books, a smell that has a way of making all libraries seem the same. Some say that smell is asbestos. ”
Scott Douglas, Quiet, Please: Dispatches From A Public Librarian

Scott Douglas
“I am convinced that grandkids are inherently evil people who tell their grandparents to "just go to the library and open up an e-mail account - it's free and so simple.”
Scott Douglas, Quiet, Please: Dispatches From A Public Librarian

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi Crystal LOL! That is why I can't tell jokes or funny stories at ALL. I can only get a few words out before laughter makes me totally unintelligible and the whole point is lost. :D

Marie I always crack myself up most of all when trying to tell a funny story. :D