Benjamin Thomas's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

4209082
Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, audio-books, historical-fiction-britain, favorites, family-saga
Read from September 13 to October 13, 2011, read count: 1

This one has everything I enjoy in a big ol' historical novel: lots of interesting characters that are fully fleshed out, an interesting panoramic setting, a nice complex plot (but not too complex), unexpected plot twists, characters who are killed off unexpectedly, characters who live unexpectedly, good guys/gals and bad guys/gals, intrigue, romance, swashbuckling action, and of course, well-researched history.

A well-written novel, indeed.

But what made this one truly a masterpiece in my mind is the fact that I listened to it on audio CD. I commute for 2 hours each day for work and still, it took me a good solid month to make my way through this one. It was a huge undertaking (32 CDs) but what a month it was! I was really sucked into the narrative, not only due to the quality of the book itself but also due to the fantastic reader, Mr John Lee. He is simply one of the best in the business and his softly British accent is just perfect for this novel. I was totally swept away. One hears of the great oral tradition, before they had the ability to write down stories and history, when people passed along those stories via the spoken word. This was like that somehow for me...and as much as I liked the novel, listening to this one was just that much cooler.

Highest recommendation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.