Julia Hughes's Reviews > The Morning Gift

The Morning Gift by Diana Norman

Sep 13, 11

bookshelves: historic

Set in the Stephen/Matilda civil war of the early middle ages, I've given this five stars simply because it's one of my favourite books of all time. Strange really, because the first time I read it I didn't like the heroine at all. She's full of her own self importance and views people in terms of how they can benefit her. I have to admit I abandoned it halfway through. Time passed, and I had nothing to read (pre kindle & pre internet m'dears - back in the dark ages myself) and I picked it up again out of boredom.
Perserving a little more I discovered that due to the malstrom raging around her, Matilda was being thrown back on her own resources, although she'd always been a strong character from somewhere she was forced to find an even stronger resolve in order to protect her son. As England sinks deeper into civil war life becomes even more perilous and Matilda discovers that those she's previously dismissed as low life peasants are capable of the same kind of courage she associates with nobility.
The author perfectly conjures up the harshness of England's darkest period, a time when 'Christ and all His Saints Slept' and takes us into the mindset of mediavel characters. I grew to admire and like Matilda, even more so for all her faults. She'd be a good friend to have at your back in bad times, as she eventually demonstrates in this novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Morning Gift.