Carol. [All cynic, all the time]'s Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Dec 12, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, my-library, lyrical
Read in December, 2011

Sometimes I want chocolate. And sometimes I want the chocolate experience. I'm as guilty as the next person of the occasional vending machine pick-up for when I need those quick fixes. But then there's the slow anticipation. Take last week, for instance. It had been a few days since the last time. As I waited in line for my latte, my eyes happened to linger on a cute little cupcake, dark velvety goodness. Short, stacked, with a swirl of fluffy milk chocolate frosting. I resisted temptation, but the thought of chocolate lingered in my mind, and it was only a day or two before I found myself heading to my favorite chocolatier, craving the bittersweetness of an espresso-infused truffle. The overwhelming rich smell of cocoa as I opened the door. The charming smile of the clerk. The snap as my teeth bit through the dark chocolate coating, and the coffee-flavored richness of the silky ganache coating my tongue.

The Night Circus is achingly beautiful. I'll concur with the critics that it might not have much of a plot, but sometimes the point is the storytelling. Morgenstern's writing reminds me of In the Night Garden in it's deceptively simple storytelling, of Peter S. Beagle's melancholic and star-crossed lovers, and of Steven Millhauser's love of ornate visual details in a magical environment. It's lyrical and evocative. If you want hair-trigger, gun-slinging action, this is not the book for you. If you look for slow, winding beauty, the walk in the sun-filled garden and the sparkle of sunlight off ice-covered trees, this might be your book.

Cross posted at http://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2012/1...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Well said. And so agree. Some of the prose is out-of-this-world beautiful.

message 2: by Mayine (new)

Mayine I haven't read the book, but this little comment is itself so beautifully written!

Carol. [All cynic, all the time] Thank you, Will and Mayine!

Kathleen Zimmerman hello there...your first paragraph captured the slow, dream-like writing of this book, which I did like, kind of like suspended animation.

Carol. [All cynic, all the time] Thank you, Kathleen.

whichwaydidshego? LOVE your comparison!

Carol. [All cynic, all the time] whichwaydidshego? wrote: "LOVE your comparison!"

Thank you! It was an inspiring book.

message 8: by Nicky (last edited Jun 11, 2012 10:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicky That was a lovely and pretty much perfect review :) Though now I am seriously contemplating raiding the chocolate brownies my sister left in the kitchen... ha oh well.

message 9: by Carol. [All cynic, all the time] (last edited Jun 11, 2012 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carol. [All cynic, all the time] Thanks, Nicky! I say go for the brownies. ;)

message 10: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Raymond what the what

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Raymond so good

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Thank you for putting my thought into words. I listened to the audiobook I thought it was a feast for the senses.

Carol. [All cynic, all the time] Ann wrote: "Thank you for putting my thought into words. I listened to the audiobook I thought it was a feast for the senses."

Thank you, Ann.

Becky Great review Carol. I too found it achingly beautiful. I’ve seen a lot of people mention that the second person walk-through’s of the circus seemed gimmicky but those were some of my favorite parts, I just love the way she described how things looked, it was so honest in its story telling and just beautiful.

Carol. [All cynic, all the time] Thanks, Becky. I agree-she was able to create a very experiential read.