Jael's Reviews > Jacob Have I Loved

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson

Sep 13, 11

bookshelves: 2009, children-s, fiction
read count: 1

I've thought about checking out this book for a long time. After all, I loved "Bridge to Terabithia" in all its gut-wrenching, tear-invoking depressingness.

This one, though... I dunno. I didn't care about most of the characters. They just weren't likeable folk. I read most of it yesterday, couldn't handle any more, and today when I picked it up there was massive disconnect for the remaining few chapters, like my psyche just wasn't going to allow myself to get drawn back in emotionally.

Also, I think it's a really weird book to hand to a young person. Some of the things talked about are a little too suggestive for my liking considering the age group for which this book appears to be intended, not to mention the irreverence to God and the malicious fanaticism of some of the "Christian" characters.

I doubt I'll ever read it again. Just too depressing. Granted, "Terabithia" is too. But its focus is mostly on a loving friendship among dysfunction, rather than the outpouring of bitterness from a single angry soul among dysfunction.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jacob Have I Loved.