Jessica's Reviews > The American Heiress

The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin

Sep 13, 2011

Read in September, 2011

This was a good read, it picked up pretty quick and I really enjoyed it- I didn't know what it was about before I read it and I was surprised by how it ended- I thought it was going to go a different way but I liked the ending. The main character of Cora was well-developed and I found the the other, minor characters interesting and fun, but I thought some of the other main characters, Ivo and Bertha, really didn't develop much- especially Bertha, it seemed the author was trying to explore this character and was going to take the storyline for Bertha more in-depth but then she changed her mind or cut Bertha short a bit. I enjoyed this book very much though, would recommend it for people who enjoy period dramas about the aristocracy-its set in the mid/late 1800s.

Also, now seeing the other reviews, I guess some found it to be a long-winded drama, I read it on the kindle so I'm not really sure how long it is but it didn't feel that long or like some drawn-out family saga- I felt it kept the story going and pace up pretty quick. And I enjoyed the details about the dress/atmosphere/houses, I thought it added to the story but that may bore some people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Heiress.