Mo's Reviews > Sanctus

Sep 13, 2011

bookshelves: thriller
Read in September, 2011

From ReadingWithMo: http://www.readingwithmo.com/2011/09/...

I received this book back at the end of May, but I try to publish my reviews once the book is available for purchase. It was hard to not read this one. I really wanted to. There were several occasions when I had the book in my hand, only to succumb to my schedule and read something else. The time finally came to read Sanctus and it was every bit as good as I thought it would be.

Sanctus is a thriller with a strong religious theme. Not to worry, it is neither a recruitment novel nor a religious slam piece. It is simply an exciting, mysterious thriller. From the very beginning, as Samuel climbs from the Citadel only to plunge to his death once nearing the top, the action and mystery suck you in.

The chapters throughout Sanctus are very short, some being only a couple of pages. This worked for me, helping to add to the excitement of what was coming next. There were many times that I was ready to stop reading, but found myself justifying a little more because it was only a couple of pages. As you may have guessed, this was a pretty fast read for me.

I found the characters to be just exceptional enough to justify my reading the book, yet real enough to satisfy that oh so strong skeptic in me. I also enjoyed that the heroine of the story is not introduced right away. The story progresses just a bit before you start to realize who the main character of the book actually is.

I enjoyed Sanctus quite a bit. It really kept me guessing. Towards the end I was sure I had everything figured out. I am happy to say that I was right, and completely wrong. That may sound weird, but once you reach the end yourself, I am sure you will understand what I am saying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sanctus.