Chibineko's Reviews > 美少女戦士セーラームーン 1 [Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon 1]

美少女戦士セーラームーン 1 [Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon 1] by Naoko Takeuchi

Ever since the ill fated Mixx/Tokyopop lost their license to the series I've been hoping that Sailor Moon would eventually hit these shores again and they have. Happy day!

Fangirl gush aside, I really enjoyed this volume. The artwork is gorgeous, which is what you'd expect for a mangaka of Takeuchi's caliber. It's interesting to flip through the pages and let my eyes slide over the illustrations.

The translations are a little awkward at times, though. One of the things that Kodansha really hyped up was that they were going to be as faithful as possible, which included the honorifics. I was actually looking forward to this since I enjoy reading honorifics for the most part. I enjoyed much of the honorifics but I'd be lying if I said that some of them just felt really silly to tack on. Things that sound fantastic in Japanese with the untranslated word just sound clunky here, such as Hime-Sama being turned into Princess-Sama. (As one reviewer so aptly put it.) I think that Kodansha just tried a little too overly hard to stay faithful to the original translations, possibly due to all of the complaints over the Tokyopop translations. This just doesn't come across as organically as it should, which might bore a few readers.

I can't really hate the Sailor Moon manga for this and I waffled over giving it 4 stars and giving it 5 stars. I eventually had to concede that while the flaws didn't ruin my experience as a whole, they were definitely noticeable and kind of interrupted my reading at least slightly.

For the Sailor Moon fans, this is an absolute 100% must buy. For any new readers or those on the fence, I'd still recommend it. It's worth having in my opinion and the awkward translations should ease up over time as Kodansha gets used to what they do and don't have to add.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 美少女戦士セーラームーン 1 [Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon 1].

dateDown_arrow    newest »

BookLuva28 How exciting! I've been eagerly awaiting it's return. i haven't been able to find it and I'm a big Sailor Moon fan. Where did u buy your copy?

Chibineko I got it at a Books-A-Million store. As soon as I saw it I grabbed a copy of this & Sailor V, squealing "Mine!" It was a pretty awesome thing to see on the shelf. :)

BookLuva28 Yeah, I know. LOL I've read about the re-release date a while ago and have been waiting for months. I just ordered my copy of Codename Sailor V! I'm exctited. I just found out the release for both was yesterday.