Caroline's Reviews > Hood

Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead

Sep 16, 11

Read from September 13 to 15, 2011

I will not be reading the sequels. Slow-paced and barely interesting. Lawhead managed to suck the adventure and color out of the legend of Robin Hood. The characters had no depth - I did not feel a connection to any of the characters or feel that any of them had feeling. The physical descriptions of people and events were poor. In one scene, Lawhead describes a group of soldiers traveling on the road - there were 5 on the left, 5 on the right side, two in the back, and then the leader. That actually doesn't help me imagine the scene at all - It just makes me feel like I'm reading a math problem. The novel lacks any human feeling or interest. It skips around time, place, and point-of-view with casual disregard for scene-setting or what the reader might be interested in. The most interesting part of the book is the time spent in the cave with Angahard, the witch doctor woman. What should have been the most interesting part of the book, living in the woods with the displaced farmer folk, crafting his plans, learning how to survive, is entirely skipped over. Seriously, it's like Lawhead threw out half of the book and left the boring stuff.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hood.