Fran's Reviews > Tempest

1986715
Oct 07, 12

bookshelves: library, 2012-books, ya
Read from October 04 to 07, 2012

Any book that keeps me up until the early hours reading, and that I pick straight up again when I wake can get no less than 4 stars. Doesn't seem honest otherwise.

Had a bit of a bumpy start with this, it didn't click with me until a few chapters in ((view spoiler)), but from then onwards I really enjoyed it and kept reading 'just a bit more' so I could see what happened next. I've read quite a bit of dystopian fiction this year, so it was refreshing to read something different. Honestly, getting a bit bored of the currently popular dystopia theme ((view spoiler)). Another enjoyable, different, aspect of Tempest is that our narrator, Jackson, and his love interest Holly are 18/19 - which is at the older end of the age range for YA fiction where the leads are usually 16/17. (view spoiler) This means that their relationship can be more realistically mature than with younger characters - and it doesn't have to be sanitised either! Hurrah. That's not saying it's like an 'adult romance' novel, I wouldn't want that, but when you are an adult reading booked intended for a YA market it's nice to come across a book where the romance is more than hand holding, hugging, and first kisses. First kisses are great, of course, but so are first other things. And then seconds, and thirds...

Another thing I enjoyed about the romance in this book is that, coupled with the time travel, we see them together (but not in a great place), getting to know each other (but in somewhat 'unreal' way), and back together (but in a good place). It's a very interesting, non-linear romance. One where one party (Jackson) is learning way more than the other (Holly), which could almost be viewed as cheating, but that's what gives the character growth from the start to the end of the book.

I liked the interesting time travel. I liked the realistic-feeling romance. I liked the complicated relationship with his father. (view spoiler) I liked the fact that it felt complete, yet also that there's more to come. Which I'll be reading when it does come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest.