Angel's Reviews > Sophie & Carter

Sophie & Carter by Chelsea Fine

Dec 07, 11

Recommended for: EVERYONE!
Read in October, 2011 — I own a copy

Sophie & Carter, in one word, was freaking-adorable. See what I did there? I hyphenated it to make it one word. I’m so clever.
Sophie is this sweet, young girl whose mother has abandoned not only her, but her three younger siblings, as well. She lived the kind of life that is hard to imagine—it was more or less a nightmare—but she still had this sense of sweet innocence to her, and although she was wise beyond her years, she gave off this vibe of naïveté that, to me, made her feel all the more real.
Carter was a guy who, like Sophie, had been through so much, but had still come out of it all a good person. He cared for Sophie like no one ever had, and was always her shoulder to lean on, in more ways than one.
I loved how gentle he was, with both Sophie, her little brothers and sister, and even his mother, who was mentally unstable.
But at the same time, he was such a strong, brave character—Sophie as well—and I think that made this story even better; the fact that, despite the life that they had been given, Sophie and Carter never complained about it. They both did what they had to do to make sure that their loved ones were taken care of, and when that was finished, they took care of each other.

While reading Sophie & Carter, there were times when I would smile, laugh, get angry, and, yes: even a little teary-eyed. Chelsea Fine writes in a way that makes you feel like you’re right there in the story, speaking and interacting with these lively and enduring characters. She makes you feel the intense heartbreak of Sophie and Carter’s home lives, the joy of when they are together, and the romance that is always seeping over the edge, dying to break free and let itself be known between these two best friends.

My only complaint, which isn’t really one at all, is that, while Carter’s P.O.V (point of view) was written in normal-style font, Sophie’s was written entirely in italic. I found this to make Sophie’s chapters a bit confusing and hard to read since I had never read a full chapter of any book all in italic. But moving on from that—Sophie & Carter is a very short novella—only 117 pages!
I know that some people had a hard time with this fact, but really—I don’t think Sophie & Carter needed to be any longer. Chelsea Fine is truly a great writer; she told the story in its entirety, all in a reasonable amount of time. Nothing dragged on, and nothing was left in the dust. She gave readers the answers to our questions (if we had any questions), she let us feel the emotions of her characters, and by the end of the story, I felt that the book of Sophie & Carter had already closed, and that is a great feeling to have; knowing you can close a book because you met the last page and it greeted you like an old friend. This book left me feeling happy, and completely satisfied.

If you’re looking for a beautifully crafted, heartfelt and adorable, yet heartbreaking novella—Sophie & Carter is that book. I hope you love it as much as I do.

He turns his hand over to grasp mine. And we sit, silent and connected at the hand, for long minutes, staring at the dark street. I’m happy. –Sophie & Carter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sophie & Carter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reem (new) - added it

Reem you should read the fault in our stars. youll weep for ages!

Angel Reem wrote: "you should read the fault in our stars. youll weep for ages!"

I have! It's my favorite John Green book! I just haven't reviewed it. I should though. It's amazing! :)