Jane Stewart's Reviews > Collide

Collide by Megan Hart

Sep 13, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: time-travel-contemporary-romance, older-man-younger-woman

No character development. No relationship development. I did not enjoy this. I wanted it to be over.

STORY BRIEF:
When Emm was six she fell, hit her head, and was in a coma. After that, periodically she would go into an unconscious state, each one lasting a few minutes or longer. She called these “fugues.” She could not get a driver’s license until she had been fugue free for a year. This finally happened when she was 31. She then moved out of her parents’ home to a city. She sees Johnny for the first time at the neighborhood coffee shop. He is the most beautiful man she has ever seen. He is 52, old enough to be her father. He is rude, dismissive, and cold to her each time she sees him. Through her girlfriend and the internet, Emm learns that Johnny starred in independent art films 30 years ago with full nudity. His naked body achieved cult status. Now he has an art gallery where he shows his own work as well as art done by others.

Emm had been fugue free for a year, but once she meets Johnny she begins having frequent fugues. In each fugue she time travels to Johnny’s home in 1978. In most of these visits they immediately have sex.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
Johnny is cold and distant to Emm for vague and illogical reasons. Later, after they get together, Emm is unhappy with her condition in life so she acts like a bitch to Johnny. When they first meet (in her backward time travel) there is no meeting, talking, or getting to know each other. She just appears and says lets go upstairs. They have sex, and then she disappears. The few times he asks her where she comes from or why she leaves, she doesn’t answer him. She believes these are dreams, so she doesn’t need to explain anything. That was unsatisfying. Most of the book is someone being frustrated at desiring the other but not having them. Because I didn’t care about the characters I didn’t care about the sex. There are many explicit sex scenes.

I was tired of hearing how beautiful Johnny was. That’s the only thing I knew about him. I was also tired of one character who said “girl” too much. For example: “Girl, I will introduce you…” “Girl, if that makes you…” I don’t know why it bothered me, maybe because there was nothing else to go with that personality.

The plot concept was good. I liked the author’s explanation for why Emm time traveled. I’m glad the couple had a happy ending, but I did not “feel” good about it. I was just glad to be done reading.

(view spoiler)

DATA:
Story length: 337 pages. Swearing language: strong, including religious swear words. Sexual language: strong/erotic. Number of sex scenes: 12. Estimated number of sex scene pages: 25. Setting: current day Harrisburg and Annville, Pennsylvania, and 1978 New York City. Copyright: 2011. Genre: time travel contemporary romance, older man younger woman.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collide.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jane, I had to laugh about the "girl" thing. 30 minutes ago I finished a book (Desire's Edge) and the hero calls the heroine "my girl", "my beautiful girl", "good girl". The WOMAN is 29 years old! Gosh, I hate this...*rolls her eyes* LOL

Jane Stewart Now you got me laughing :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter And right now I am so annoyed! I wanted to post my review on amazon too. They declined. I can't believe it!!! It's exactly the same review which I posted here on goodreads. I wouldn't have any problems posting this review in a Swiss newspaper. I call this censorship!!!

Jane Stewart Are you talking about posting a "comment" to me or posting a "review?" I posted my Amazon review of Collide this morning, but it has not shown up there yet. Many times it takes 10 to 24 hours before I see it.

So I'm curious as to what's happening with you?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I mean I posted my review of Desire's Edge by Eve Berlin here on goodreads. And I wanted to post the exact same review on amazon.com. This wasn't possible. They declined! Welcome to the USA. The country of boundless possibilities! Newsflash to amazon: there's a freedom of expression - at least here in Switzerland. A Swiss newspaper wouldn't give me any grief for posting such a review. What amazon is doing is not ok. I call this censorship! Incredible!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Hah, another newsflash: I checked on amazon.de. They accepted my review! It's obvious that Germany handles things way differently than the USA... :(

Jane Stewart This sounds awful!!!! I remember seeing your reviews on other books on Amazon. I just went looking for Desire's Edge and yours is not there. My gosh, I sure hope its a temporary bug. Tell me the name of a couple other reviews you put on Amazon and I'll check to see if I see them from USA, anyway.

Why would they post some of yours and not others?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Thank you, Jane, but you don't have to check them out. I can do that myself. Until now this wasn't a problem. Never. They always published my reviews. As I already mentioned the exact same review was published on amazon.de. They're handling this differently.

Jane Stewart Do you feel like sending them an email to ask? They have usually responded to me once I get to the right dept. - "customer reviews."

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jane wrote: "Do you feel like sending them an email to ask? They have usually responded to me once I get to the right dept. - "customer reviews.""

I already sent them my reply...But I think that could take time...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Did you read my review of Desire's Edge? Do you think it's too critical? I don't get it. I didn't insult anybody.