Nick Brett's Reviews > The Accident

The Accident by Linwood Barclay

Sep 13, 11

Linwood Barclay's latest thriller is a little bleak in more ways than one. Firmly set in the current recession it captures the fears and worries of a small town US community and the desperate lengths that some may go to in order to keep their heads above water.

When Glen Garber's wife dies in an apparent accident, the dark underbelly of the community starts to unravel and working through his grief, xx starts to realise there were things about his wife and their community that he had no idea about....

I though the author nailed the atmosphere really well and he writes believable characters and dialogue but what lets this down is the fundamental plot, it fails to match the depth of the environment it is placed within. You know more than the main character and there is no real mystery or twist which I suppose we have come to expect from this kind of book, although the author does try to ram a few in towards the end, but by then most readers will have seen what is coming.

So perfectly readable and an easy page turner, but not quite as clever as one might hope.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accident.