Michael's Reviews > Changing My Mind: Occasional Essays

Changing My Mind by Zadie Smith

Sep 13, 11

bookshelves: craft_and_criticism, nonfiction-reference
Read in December, 2010

Thought I had added this last year when I read it; should have done, as I loved it. (Even bought an extra copy to give to someone; thought better of it and have since had a spare sitting on my shelf awaiting the right reader.)

I've loved Smith's pieces that I've read in the New Yorker and elsewhere—a more accessible writer about inaccessible fiction I doubt exists. Her piece here on David Foster Wallace's Brief Interviews with Hideous Men gave me an appreciation for a book I'd always had issues with; her piece about a rather insignificant gig of E.M. Forster's reveals both her love of Forster and why his work mattered and connected with its audience; there are great bits on Kafka and George Eliot and more. And her autobiographical pieces here—especially the one about her father and their shared love of a certain kind of British humor—are moving and singular.

It's a great book about art of the storytelling sort, and indispensable in its way. Not for everyone, no, but if it's your sort of thing you'll love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changing My Mind.