Ellen Keim's Reviews > The Wednesday Sisters

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton

Sep 13, 11

Read in September, 2011

I wanted to like this book. It seemed to have all the ingredients that would attract someone like me: the book primarily takes place from 1967-1975 and I graduated from high school in 1970; the women meet to encourage each others' writing efforts and become friends in the process; and there is a lot in here about women juggling children, marriage and sometimes a career. But this was not a sweeping novel of five women's lives. The later years are rushed through and tacked on at the end. The women never seem to fully engage in the events of the day (or at least I didn't feel that they did); the writer bits were not as revealing as I had hoped; and the family-marriage-work conflict only comes up for one of the five women. Also I felt that the book didn't have enough suspense; it wasn't a mystery, but I think every novel should keep you guessing and this was just too predictable. Nor is there a true climax unless it would be when the women show their solidarity for one of the women who is battling breast cancer.

The book isn't completely without merit. It just didn't quite hit the mark. The main character wasn't that interesting. The conflicts never seemed to fully erupt. And most of all, the characters didn't seem that real.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wednesday Sisters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat Wow, what a ho=hummer. I tried this one with the book clubs that Ifacilitate, but no one, I mean no one, could get through it. It was just so boring and had no real plot. No one every went anywhere or did anything. First order of writing, show don't tell. This ho-hummer was all in the telling

Ellen Keim That's interesting. At least I know I'm not the only one who didn't like it!