Samantha Young's Reviews > Obsidian

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: covers-i-like, ebooks-i-own, favourites, adult-ya-scifi, books-i-own
Read from December 01 to 02, 2011

I preordered Obsidian in paperback but when I discovered it was released onto Kindle early I had to download it and devour it immediately. I loved Jennifer Armentrout’s debut Half-Blood and, as a fan of Roswell, couldn’t wait to get into what had been coined a Roswell-esque YA Sci-fi romance. Well, other than a girl from a small town falling in with a group of aliens who live under the guise of humans, the story (other than basic genre plot devices) is one all its own.

I have to say… I think I loved Obsidian even more than Half-Blood. Seriously, just couldn’t put the book down. The heroine, Katy, is a brilliant heroine. She’s bookish (love that she’s a book blogger), she’s kind of quiet but she has this innate strength and fiery temper (especially when it comes to Daemon). The prose is modern and smooth, really easy to get sucked into. The plot is fast-paced, engaging, and just incredibly entertaining. BUT the best part of Obsidian is the interaction between Daemon and Katy. Daemon is a first class dick half of the time… and I mean first class! Grr, he really pissed me off sometimes… then he’d go being all sweet and protective and you just wanted to slap him upside the head for being so irritatingly yummy. I totally understood Katy’s dilemma and yet really appreciate how her character never gave into him and how she stood up for herself (the spaghetti scene in the cafeteria was awesome!). The chemistry between these two is off the charts AMAZING. The bonus scenes at the end of the novel told from Daemon’s POV were fantastic and really gave the reader insight into him – it made the reader understand why he was such a douchebag sometimes.

Anyhoo…if you like yourself a hot YA romance with healthy helpings of suspense, humour and action… then you should definitely pick up Obsidian.

Now on my favourites shelf.

Five Massive Massive Stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsidian.

12/02/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chantal Can't wait to read this :)

Amanda Me neither:)

Samantha Young I'm 40% of the way through and so far so great! :-) It's on kindle early for £4.49

Maria Great review Sam!! He was such a Dick but that was one of the best things about this book there banter was the best!! I'm dying for the next one!!

Samantha Young I know, I cannot wait! The chemistry between these two is of the charts... eep, just a few months away :-)

Edee Fallon where can I get this?