Eunice's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

When I first read Divergent, I was awed. I loved it and I really enjoyed it. However there was this small part of me that just cannot acknowledge that this series could be, like most reviews had said, leveled with The Hunger Games. I don't know, there was something I need to see or feel for me to be completely convinced that it is worth comparing to THG or say that it could be as great as THG.

And well, great job Veronica Roth, because Insurgent just had me convinced that this series is indeed f*cking AH-MA-ZING! I was floored! I can certainly say now that this series could be leveled with not just THG but other really great dystopian novels as well.

I was so happy this sequel didn't become a filler book, or that it didn't suffer on the "second-book syndrome" in which most second novels in a trilogy tend to be. I was surprised to realized that throughout the book there were so many things that actually happened, so many discoveries and things learned.

I thoroughly enjoyed the parts where we get a look on each faction. It was fascinating and interesting to see how they work and learn their beliefs and principles and ways of living. I saw the good and the bad in each of them, their issues and flaws and realized how much their world were twisted seeing how it limited their people to have their own individuality.

With her grief over the loss of her parents and her guilt over Will's death, Tris went through an intense emotional roller coaster ride. Her regrets and remorse from what had happened drove her to make thoughtless and careless decisions and actions. Which made me ache for her but also drove me pretty crazy and frustrated me a bit. It was understandable and believable though especially after all that had happened and obstacles they were still facing. With all those emotional suffering she'd been through she was still an amazing and admirable character, a really brave and strong-willed heroine. In the end she was able to find her way and realized the right things she has to do.

Tobias/Four. I saw a lot of different sides of him in this book. His usual 'cold and aloof' facade he wear most of the time was gone. He showed a lot of emotions in this one and he'd been more open regarding his feelings. I saw a frustrated Four, a vulnerable Four, a regretful Four but also a very loving and caring Four and boy did I fall in love all over again!

What I also loved so much in this book was how Tris and Tobias's relationship was handled. It was very real, believable and mature. I love that it showed how it was to have a relationship in a situation were too many obstacles, conflicts, emotional baggages were thrown. It wasn't easy and it wasn't always beautiful. But they were still able to overcome it. The downside of it helped established their relationship into a much stronger and more in depth one. I was touched by them and I just so freaking loved them.

I found myself dumbfounded by the ending. It was mind blowing and I was seriously surprised. It wasn't really a brutal cliffhanger but it was a very good cliffhanger! I wasn't expecting that and it made me so excited for the next book! Overall, Insurgent was a very remarkable and impressive sequel! Once you read it, you'll never have a doubt about his series. I highly recommend it. Book 3, hurry up! :))

This review is also posted at Book Overdose

Teaser:
"He kisses me again, more insistent this time, his hands squeezing my waist. His breaths, his body, my body, we are so close there is no difference."

description
351 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes Eunice Liked

Veronica Roth
“He kisses me again, more insistent this time, his hands squeezing my waist. His breaths, his body, my body, we are so close there is no difference.”

Veronica Roth
“He slides his hand over my cheek, one finger anchored behind my ear. Then he tilts his head down and kisses me, sending a warm ache through my body. I wrap my hands around his arm, holding him there as long as I can. When he touches me, the hollowed-out feeling in my chest and stomach is not as noticeable.”

Veronica Roth
“We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.”

Veronica Roth
“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.”

Veronica Roth
“It reminds me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free.”

Veronica Roth
“Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind.”

Veronica Roth
“We're all right, you know,' he says quietly. 'You and me. Okay?' My chest aches, and I nod. 'Nothing else is all right.' His whisper tickles my cheek. 'But we are.”

Veronica Roth
“I read somewhere, one, that crying defies scientific explanation. Tears are only meant to lubricate the eyes. There is no real reason for tear glands to overproduce tears at the behest of emotion.
I think we cry to release the animal parts of us without losing our humanity. Because inside of me is a beast that snarls, and growls, and strains toward freedom, toward Tobias, and, above all, towards life. And as hard as I try, I cannot kill it.”

Veronica Roth
“Sleep,” he says. “I'll fight the bad dreams off if they come to get you.” “With what?” “My bare hands, obviously.”

Veronica Roth
“People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them.”

Veronica Roth
“I love Tris the Divergent, who makes decisions apart from faction loyalty, who isn’t some faction archetype. But the Tris who’s trying as hard as she can to destroy herself … I can’t love her.”
I want to scream. But not because I’m angry, because I’m afraid he’s right. My hands shake and I grab the hem of my shirt to steady them.
He touches his forehead to mine and closes his eyes. “I believe you’re still in there,” he says against my mouth. “Come back.”

Veronica Roth
“I am his, and he is mine, and it has been that way all along.”

Veronica Roth
“Crying defies scientific explanation. Tears are only meant to lubricate the eyes. There is no real reason for tear glands to overproduce tears at the behest of emotion.”
Veronica Roth, Insurgent

Gabby I just died a little. haha! tnx for posting the teaser. :))

message 2: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ OMG Eunice!! :)

message 3: by Eunice (last edited Feb 03, 2012 03:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eunice Sam and Gabby, I also died the instant I read this. And yes, Rachel, really O.M.G.! I just saw this in tumblr. But it was originally posted from the Insurgent fanpage in facebook. :)

message 4: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Oooh, can't wait for this one. :)

message 5: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Died? dude I just imploded, like, 2 million times...Imploded means going into a black hole (pause) and then explode 2 seconds later.... :D I CAN'T WAIT UNTILL THIS BOOK COMES OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel Morgan Need. To. Read. Insurgent!

AriaTheBookNerd Wow! :D
Want to read now.

message 8: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody oh god!!!

Sarah Taft I'M SO JEALOUS OF TRIS IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY. I LOOOOOVVVVEEEEEEEE TOBIAS. NUM NUM NUM! I'm so excited to see the romance in this next book it's just... I can't cope with myself.

message 10: by Ida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ida OH HOT DAMN! I think I just died! <3

message 11: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Guys, you know that you can read chapter 2 for free right?

Sarah Taft PSCHH... i've read that about 45 times! :)

message 13: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine I was just scrolling down for this book and my mom walked behind me the second that "NEVER ENDING SEXUAL FRUSTRATION" was flashing on my screen... LOL!!! x) <3

message 14: by Jose (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jose @Mimi Valentine: LOLZ XP

Vaishnavee Suresh Haha...thanks for the teaser!!

Jasprit Gahh I'm glad we don't have to wait too long! This is just killing me!

message 18: by Loni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loni legit.

Jasprit Eunice you're flying through this! How are you finding it? I'm about 63% and I don't want the book to end :(

message 20: by Eunice (last edited May 03, 2012 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eunice I'm around 100 pages left. Things are getting pretty crazy but I'm loving it. I'm a bit nervous with the ending though, will there be a cliffhanger? I don't want to end it too. And waiting for another year is pure torture. lol!

Winnie is there a cliff hanger?

message 22: by Eunice (last edited May 04, 2012 04:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eunice Yeah, it was kind of a cliffhanger but it was good! I was pretty surprised by it. It made me so excited for book 3! :))

Eunice Yes! I so enjoyed it! And the last part was pretty shocking, I just want the story to keep going! Haha! :D

Eunice Oh yeah! Me too, (view spoiler) :) I'm so curious what's gonna happen next. :))

Vaishnavee Suresh I loved your review....gret job!! Totally summed uo how i felt about it!!! If you don't mind, could you please look at my review of Insurgent and tell me how I could improve it? Thank you :)

message 26: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia I have to read Divergent asap! I am obviously lagging behind. Great review as always, Eunice! ;-)

Eunice Oh wow, thank you Vaishnavee! I'm really flattered. LOL! I'm not really that confident with my reviews most of the time, you know, I just usually rant them out! Ha! But yeah, I'll look for your review later and try to give you some advice. :))

Yeah, read it asap! You wouldn't wanna be left behind! LOL! Thank you, Sonia! :))

Vaishnavee Suresh Thank you!!

Jasprit For some reason I had already liked this review? must have been the teaser you had posted! lol I'm still writing my review for this one! So difficult to get so many different emotions down! But you did a great job with this review! :)

message 30: by Eunice (last edited May 11, 2012 03:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eunice Thank you, Jasprit! I get what you mean, it took me seriously a long time to finish this review too. Haha! Looking forward to your review! :))

Hannah Your comment about Tris and Tobias' relationship was so true! I am currently reading it (half done) and their relationship is quite different than in Divergent :) not picture perfect but had its troubles and conflicts. I love seeing different sides of each character, good character development!

message 32: by Eunice (last edited May 14, 2012 02:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eunice Oh yeah, their relationship was very real and more mature this time. I love it and I was really touched. It was very well developed. I enjoyed seeing different sides of the characters too especially Four! Happy reading, Hannah! :))

Sioned You're absolutely right about the Divergent/HG issue. When I read it, I think the world building was what made me fall in love with the HG, but Divergent/Insurgent also has so many pluses too. One of them is the romance. It feels so much more mature that Toast. (Peeta/Katniss)

Sioned *than

Eunice Haha! Thanks Sioned. Divergent and HG have their own uniqueness that are really outstanding and that made both series really awesome. The romance in both books were handled very differently but also really good. But I think I'm enjoying the romance more here in Divergent than in HG. :))

Jessica sexual Frustration is correct! I kept yelling at my book to just sleep together already! lol

Vaishnavee Suresh Jessica wrote: "sexual Frustration is correct! I kept yelling at my book to just sleep together already! lol"

Haha...me tooo!!

Eunice @Jessica: Lol! We have to wait for that! XD

Stay Alive Another cliffhanger... Another wait... Damn this world is screwed up!

message 40: by Mackenzie (new) - added it

Mackenzie ulrich Omg.Im in love with Tobias right now:)"Oh for god's shake.I'll just carry you." -Tobias.
Ahh!Tris was So funny when Amity gave her the Peace serum!!Haha!"You like me because your no very nice either!"-Tris.:D

Calissa I loved the book. I don't agree with The hunger games relating at all to the book though. I was considering that right when I started but I don't think it's related also considering I have read The Hunger Games over 5 times. I read this books in less than 3 days.

Calissa WHY THE TEASER YOU TRYING TO KILL ME AFTER ALREADY READING IT AND ALMOST DYEING!

Maheesha so did u read the third book yet? And omg tht teaser was one of my fav parts in the book

Addison Howard The hunger games is similar to this, but I think it somehow is related to Harry Potter, because of all of the factions.
Nice review though! Keep em' coming!

Marilou Carr I loved divergent although I do fell like insurgent could have worked differently it is still a great book

Danielle Reddy The teaser is my absolute favorite part of the book so far. I totally agree with the reluctance to compare it to THG because I fell I love with those characters, but I've fallen in lev with Tris and Four as they fall in love... It's a good one❤️

message 48: by Keila (new) - added it

Keila I mostly agree with your review on the book. Although I felt like the beginning of the story was just a time filler after about the first one hundred pages the pace seemed to speed up.
I agree with how you said we get to see how all the factions work and go together but I feel like we never really get the real feel for it because the scenes are always cut off by an erudite invasion and the headquarters for these places become battle grounds like the Candor. The erudite attacked them because they were an easy target since it was two factions in one place. Also you don really get to see or feel the good parts of the factions because the book points out the bad ALL the time. Like how they always pointed out the truth serum and how horrible it was for candor to use it, or how cruel the erudite were. There was always a positive then two or three negatives to bring it down.
Tris' disregard for her own life really grinded my gears. Like when she went to try to "help" the other divergent when erudite attacked Candor she went recklessly into a group of armed people and attacked them.
Tris and Tobias were such a realistic couple. Their problems were so relatable like how they kept secrets from each other constanly and how they think that they're helping one another but are really hurting each other. Also their biggest problem is communication. Tris will never open up to Tobias until it's too late and she can't handle it anymore. Also the secrets that they keep are extremely important information that they refused to tell the other until it came out and they got into an argument about it.

message 49: by Alanna (new)

Alanna Lee I totally agree. I first read Divergent for my literature class last year, and I actually liked it. For an assignment this year, I thought, 'why not just read the second book since I already started the trilogy?' Well, I'm glad I did! I was so captivated that I read it all in one day and did not stop until I finished!
In my opinion, I like the plot of the Hunger Games, but I like the way the Divergent series was written. I feel more attachment to this book than I did with THG. I think this really is a good dystopian book, andf i agree in that could be leveled with other great dystopian novels.
I understand your staemnet in that you are glad it is not a filler book, because I have a short patience, and i wouldve just skipped a bunch of it if it was. Not only with Insurgent but also other second parts of a trilogy, I noticed that it is eitherthe first or second best one. I think for me in THG, the second one was the best, then the first, then the last (it was horrible). For the divergent series, I think the first was just as good as the second one.
I think that was a good idea for Roth to show us the other factions like amity. In readingdivergent, I was like 'So is Dauntless, Erudite, and Abnegation the main ones?' and now reading Insurgent I understand the conflict more. I also get a better look and knowledge about the other factions.
I know Tris was going through a tough time, but while i was reading the parts with her emotions, I wanted to be like 'get on with the stroy! Stop blaming yourself!' I think it is becasue I get bored easily if there's no action, but further through the book, I think Roth makes up for it, and I am engaged in it again. I'm not a fan of sappy romance stories, so I was glad this dodnt really focus on Tris and Four as much as I thought it would. However, I do still have my fangirl moments, so I found the part with tris being injected with too much peace serum hilarious. She was all sappy to Tobias and i was just like 'aww I ship you guys so much it kills me!' Literally they are so cute! And I also like their little date on the statue thingy and I completely gushed over that! I could not stop grinning at how cute they were! This was more realistic and I thought it was one of my favorite couples and "ships" of all time!
I agree completely with the cliffhanger part! I was all like "Oh my god! I need the third book now!" but not in the suspense in that it kills tou. It was more like a here is this... now read the third one. I actually would recommend this book to many people because I already have told some of my friends about it!

message 50: by Andrew (new)

Andrew I thought the book was good, but the shift to be more of a romance than a science-fiction action made the book less enjoyable for me. The ending had a decent buildup but some of the beginning of the book seemed un necessary and Tris seems very unstable and made decisions far too quickly which frustrated me as well. Overall I think that the book was pretty good and had events that made it worth reading, but had a few frivolous plot events. Over all this was a good book and I plan on reading the third book in the series Allegiant.