Shauna's Reviews > The Leftovers

The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta

Sep 14, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from September 07 to 13, 2011

I won this on a First Reads Giveaway. I liked this book. The characters were strong and real. Each had good qualities and poor qualities, which I love in a book. You will see some strong development in each character as the novel moves on. I have a hard time when you get really evil characters and super perfect protaganists. What was most interesting was that this was an apocolyptic book, but rather than have some catastophe like war, the earth burning, the US getting bombed, etc. you get the disappearance of millions of people on the earth and how the "Leftover" people are coping with this loss and that yes, the world does go on. It does not stop. Things are pretty much the same as before other than a few radical cults have spurng up, government has changed a bit and things are a bit sad. I read through some of the other reviews and some expressed disappointment that we don't get to find out what happend to all those that disaappeared, but the author never foreshadows that this knowledge will be revealed. The whole story line of the book is to understand how humankind is coping with this sort of disaster and what happened to the others is not relevant to the story. I recommend this to anyone in need of a "life sucks, but if we try we can make it a great one" sort of story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leftovers.