Carolyn Agosta's Reviews > A Gate at the Stairs

A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore

Sep 12, 2011

Read in September, 2011

I bought this book on the spur of the moment, at a Walden's that was closing in 2 hours. I knew nothing of the story beforehand, never heard of Lorrie Moore (although it looks like I should have) and just plunged in, reading it over two days of travel and finally at home.

The writing itself, the use of language, is sometimes a bit too much. In fact, it's often a bit too much, but rarely WAY too much. It's dense, packed, you have to step carefully through the paragraphs. As for the story, yes, I did wonder where it was going, but then when it got into action, the action was horrific, terribly involving, and sometimes over too fast. I'm reminded of an Art Garfunkel song, All I Know. One part of the lyrics goes "The ending always come at last, endings always come too fast. They come too fast and they pass too slow." The horrifically sad parts of the story hit Tassie, and they hit the reader, one, two, three, four. Four punches and I was down. All day. I can enjoy a book that makes me cry (and laugh - it did make me laugh too), but this story breaks your heart and it will take a while to get over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gate at the Stairs.