♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

bookshelves: books-i-own, favorites
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Eunice
Read from February 18 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

I LOVED this story!

I've had this book sitting on my shelf for ages because I was a little afraid to start it. I had good things about it in the past but the thought of reading about two people, who hate each other just randomly "hooking up" didn't sound that appealing. This book ended up being so much more.

The story begins with Bianca out with her girlfriends at a teen lounge. Suddenly, Wesley Rush, hottie, and well-known womanizer at school, sits down at the bar with Bianca to talk. She basically tells him to piss off, she's not interested, but he asks her to help him out. Wesley tells Bianca that she can help him with her hot friends, because everyone knows that when a guy talks to the DUFF of the friends, he scores points. He informs her that DUFF stands for Designated Ugly Fat Friend, and that she fits the bill. Even more insulting he tells her she's not an ogre or anything just the DUFF in comparison to her friends. Ugh!!! At this point, Bianca throws her drink in his face *APPLAUSE*!! This comment stays with and hurts Bianca, even though she doesn't like to admit it. Who wouldn't be hurt? Add to this, Bianca's home life is going down the tubes. Her mother, who's never home, has just sent divorce papers, and her father refuses to acknowledge it. Because of all this, Bianca just wants an escape so the next time Wesley starts talking to her (brave man, indeed), she does something incredibly stupid, and kisses him. This escalates into a hooking-up arrangement with no strings attached. Soon Bianca is shutting her friends out, and running to Wesley all the time, forming a connection she doesn't see coming. I mean, come on this is heartless Wesley Rush, right? Not so much.

Like I said before, this description did not appeal to me and I wouldn't have been able to get past this had there not been more depth to this story. If Wesley would've stayed the complete prick he was at the beginning of this story, I would be giving this a completely different rating. Fortunately, we get to see a change in Wesley; we see that he has problems of his own. Soon their hookups aren't just about sex but about leaning on and supporting each other. I loved seeing the changes in Wesley. In fact, he wasn't the stubborn one in this equation. It was Bianca. You can't blame her, though; she's been hurt before, so she puts her guard up. This story was full of HOT scenes, that get your blood pumping, but also some awww-so-sweet, moments too. I never thought a guy who starts out as such a jerk would have me swooning so much. He's definitely at the top of my book-boyfriend list. Eunice used this quote from him, but I just love it so much I'm going to, as well:

"Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls, but I’m chasing you."

I also loved this one from Wesley:

“You can lie to yourself if you want, but reality is going to catch up with you. I’ll be waiting when it does… whether you like it or not.”

If all these things weren't reason enough to read this story, the secondary characters were well done too. Bianca's friends, Casey and Jessica were so loyal and sweet. They stuck it out even when Bianca was being a crappy friend. Never once did they act or feel like Bianca was the DUFF in their friendship. If anything each thought they were the DUFF. The story showed that each and every one of us, at one time or another feels like a DUFF.

I can't believe the author, Kody Keplinger, was only eighteen when she wrote this, and that this was her debut novel. Amazing! I highly recommend this story. I want to thank Eunice for giving me that extra shove to read this, why did I put it off for so long?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The DUFF.

02/18/2012 page 16
6.0% "Wow. Poor Bianca, I think I'd die if someone called me a Duff. Wesley=prick right now." 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura Oh, Duff! Yay! I will be watching! ;) Wesley Rush was very hot! Have fun!

♥Rachel♥ So I hear. Eunice pushed me to move this up. ;)

Laura Haha…yet another reason to like that girl! :D

Eunice Yay! Happy reading, Rachel! So excited to hear what you'll think of this! I'm quite nervous too. Haha! And yeah, Laura, Wesley was very hot!!! :DD

♥Rachel♥ If you guys liked it, I'm sure I will too. :)

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam I read Eunice's review of this a while ago and I have wanted it ever since. Can't wait to see what you think of it! :)

Rachel I wasn't in love with this book - I felt like if some guy called me fat/ugly I wouldn't want to sleep with him or continue sleeping with him. I also didn't like the dad plotline and how the heck is Wesley basically on his own lol... I did like some of the snarky banter between B and Wesley though
Eager to read your thoughts

♥Rachel♥ I agree with that Rachel, I hope Wesley redeems himself as the book goes on. I'm only about 100 pages in. :)

message 9: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit yay for the 5 stars Rachel I've had this book for ages too! Look forward to your review :)

♥Rachel♥ I think we've been cleaning out our old reading stacks right, Jasprit? Feels good. :)

message 11: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit urgh tell me about it this year I really want to try and reduce my pile by a significant amount! (view spoiler)

Eunice 5 stars! I'm so happy you loved it, Rachel. I was really worried you wouldn't like it. Looking forward to your review! :))

♥Rachel♥ Oh yes Eunice, I did like it! Thanks for the push to finally read it. I'm going to have my review up tonight. :)

Laura SO glad you liked this one, Rachel! Wonderful review and quotes! :) I just love Keplinger! I think YA needed her voice.

message 15: by Eunice (last edited Feb 22, 2012 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eunice Love you review, Rachel! I agree, I never thought I would also be swooning over Wesley since he was such a jerk at first but he could be really so sweet! Those things he wrote on the letter? Awww, those were just the sweetest things ever, I particularly loved this one line: (view spoiler)

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam Awesome review Rachel! I'm glad you mentioned that this book had a lot more depth than just what the description suggests. The synopsis doesn't sounds all too appealing to me either, but I'm really intrigued by this book. Everyone seems to love it! I can't wait to read it myself. :D

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Laura, I just loved this one.

Eunice!!! The letter oh my goodness, I loved this so much. Thanks for the extra push.

Thanks Sam, you should read this. It's really good! :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read so many varying reviews for this one Rachel. I like yours, it encourages me to read it to know there is more to it than just adolescent hooking up

♥Rachel♥ Kate, I hope you like this if you do finally decide to pick it up. There is a lot of adolescent hooking up though. :)

message 20: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit hot scenes and aww so sweet moments definitely sounds like my sort of book! I'll be pushing it up my tbr pile! great review :)