Jonathan Tomes's Reviews > Suffer in Silence

Suffer in Silence by David  Reid

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: military-fiction
Read in September, 2011

Wow! After finishing David Reid’s Suffer in Silence, A Novel of Navy SEAL Training, I almost felt like I had been through BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL) Hell Week myself—it was that compellingly written. When I was in the Army as an Infantry officer, I had done a few of the things the SEAL trainees did, like the Slide for Life and the drown-proofing. But I slept all night the night before the Slide for Life and went to the Officer’s Club for a cold one after the drown-proofing in the Fort Benning, Georgia pool. The SEAL trainees had no sleep for the whole of Hell Week and their cold one was “get wet and roll in the sand,” the instructor’s order to lay down in the 60 degree Pacific Ocean and roll around in the sand until they were frozen and coated with gritty sand.

Suffer in Silence has a good plot, but it’s almost unnecessary. Just reading about the training is enough to keep one turning pages furiously. With the killing of Osama bin Laden, we know what heroes these men are, but you could not be anything but a hero when forged on that anvil. I salute the author, who made it through Hell Week himself, and the SEALs he writes about. This book is right up there with the very best military fiction and is an easy five stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suffer in Silence.