Ashley's Reviews > Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion

Knuffle Bunny Free by Mo Willems

Sep 25, 11

1.Genre: Picture Book/Concept Book

2. Knuffle Bunny gets to experience all the fun times Trixie has each day, and Trixie is very excited when she and her family (and Knuffle Bunny!) get to visit her grandparents in Holland! However, an unexpected turn of events forces Trixie to be a big girl and learn to enjoy things without her favorite toy.

3.Critique

a.The area that I would like to address is the theme of the book. It is one that so many children can relate to! I instantly connected to the theme of this story because of the love I had for my own “blankie.” This story is a great way to help children understand that it is okay to have a favorite toy, but that there are times when you have to grow up a little bit and learn to function without it. The fantastic twist at the end is a great bonus that adds an element of generosity that will serve to only enhance the lesson.

b.The first things you notice when you open the book are the unique illustrations. The illustrator uses actual digital photographs in black and white and then draws his pictures over them in color. In doing this he creates a whole new dimension to the book, and a feeling that these events actually happened! The book covers a very real topic for kids, so that is another strength of story. Almost all of the events in the story are actual events that could occur in real life to a child, and this makes the book very relatable. The only negative comment I have is that the child finds the bunny in the plane seat at the end, and this is not likely to happen in real life.

c.One of my favorite pictures from the book is one of Trixie in her bed, the bed and room are the digital image, and the bed is turned down, as if holding a person. The illustrator draws the girl in her bed, and it looks as if the image is real! These kinds of images create a sense of realism.

4.This book sends a great message, but is only directly applicable in the younger grades, as these children are more likely to still have attachments to certain objects. Often times, children in preschool or kindergarten have a hard time leaving these things at home, and this would be a great story to read to help them feel better. The illustrations could also be their own lesson, as the students could paint over black and white images like the book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knuffle Bunny Free.

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue Hi Ashley - fun book and great start on the review. Please look at the format for critiques for this assignment :-)