Sherry's Reviews > The Archer's Tale

The Archer's Tale by Bernard Cornwell

F_50x66
Sep 27, 11

Read from September 12 to 27, 2011

The Archer's Tale was a problematic read for me. The historical accuracy was a real draw (but I can see how it would be hard to wade through, since it's very thorough). Having a history minor helps with this novel.

That said, some portions were too accurate. I've read books with violence and rape before, so it wasn't that I couldn't get through it, it was how completely unmoved the characters seemed. The main character spends the book more-or-less on a quest to revenge the raiding and destruction of his home village. Which makes it jarring and problematic when he becomes a soldier who spends all of his time killing and destroying other small villages.

Which leads me to the largest problem I had with the book. No matter how much the story sucked me in, as it frequently did, I was consistently jarred back out by the inconsistency in the characters. Every time you thought you might like one of them or be able to relate on some level, they went back to being heartless and plot-driven. I was more intrigued by the side-characters in the book, probably because we never stayed with them long enough for their lack of depth to shine through.

All in all, worth reading on a rainy day, but not exactly a gripping tale you just can't put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Archer's Tale.