Kyle's Reviews > Shade

Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: library, read-in-2011
Read from October 10 to 15, 2011

I have heard a lot of good things about Shade, especially from other bloggers, so I figured I'd give it a shot, even though I don't necessarily consider myself a fan of paranormal. Something about vampires and werewolves just doesn't work for me, but I've read a couple stories with ghosts that I've enjoyed and this one was definitely no exception. I really liked it.

One of the elements that I particularly loved about Shade was the setting. Ms. Smith-Ready created her story so that it takes place in the present day, but with the added aftermath of the Shift (people 16 and under can see and talk to ghosts). Because the setting and time period is similar to ours, the characters talk about current music and movies. I thought that was such a great technique and really helps readers relate to the characters.

I also really liked the whole idea of the Shift. As the story progresses, especially in the last third, we learn more background of the Shift and how it specifically affected Aura and Zachary, the intriguing Scottish boy (I loved imagining his accent). I'm really looking forward to reading Shift, the second book in the series, to learn more about the Shift and how it happened.

Whenever bloggers talk about this book, they always seem to mention the Aura/Logan/Zachary love triangle. Maybe I'm weird, but I definitely liked Zachary more because, you know, he's alive and breathing. I'm assuming there is more of a triangley thing in Shift since right now, it's Zachary all the way (to me). Other than wondering about that and groaning at Aura's name, I really liked this book! It wasn't too long and kept me turning the pages. Shift is already on hold for me at the library and I know I'll be diving in soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shade.