Leah Hortin's Reviews > Hurricanes in Paradise

Hurricanes in Paradise by Denise Hildreth-Jones

Sep 27, 11

bookshelves: kindle, chick-lit
Read from September 12 to 27, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I really should learn to read descriptions of books before diving into them but I have such a hard time passing up free Kindle books. Hurricanes in Paradise is a G-rated chick lit that takes place at the famed Atlantis resort in the Bahamas. The tone of the book is overtly Christian - complete with lots of praying, conversations with God and deceased spouses, and breakdowns in church. If that's your thing, you might enjoy this book but it mostly just elicited a lot of eyerolling for myself. I could not relate to any of the four main characters, predominantly Southern women - I found them overly insightful and self-aware. Being able to look at a women and tell that she has HIV when she was only diagnosed 6 weeks ago? Unlikely. I'm not buying it. This book has it all, and it's too much. Cancer, HIV, hurricane, accidental death, domestic abuse, alcoholism, adultery, coniving, divorce.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hurricanes in Paradise.

09/14/2011
7.0% "So, another free kindle read. I didn't know until after I downloaded it that it was a overtly-Christian novel. Honestly, that puts me off a bit but I'm still giving it a shot. I'm a couple chapters in and definitely excited to see where the story goes even though it'll be "G" rated."
09/23/2011
86.0% "I've figured out what bugs me most about this book and it isn't the Christian emphasis. It's the fact that I CANNOT relate to either of the 4 main characters. At all."
show 5 hidden updates…