Keegan's Reviews > A Tale of Two Cities

May 27, 09

bookshelves: favorite-reads, classic
Recommended for: everyone
Read in January, 2001

** spoiler alert ** With such an introduction and conclusion, you know it must be full of the sublime. It's far-and-away my favorite Dickens, even though Lucie does seem lacking in spunk in the completely angelic state of her nature. So, I like to think of her as being symbolic since she's not a really rounded character but I do admire her goodness and would like to be more like her (with a little bit of personal fire).

Sydney Carton is a great character full of vice and goodness alike. Possibly one of the best characters in fiction I think. The best thing about him is that he is so awful in some respects, so lazy and no-good, as Dickens makes clear. He's apparently never done anything worthwhile . . . until the end when he does this amazingly christ-like thing. And in that respect I love that the story says, "Okay, this guy is pretty much a scumbag, but if he can be like Christ, can't you try a little harder?"

This story is all about, "Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." And I love the dignity and grace with which he does it. The conclusion is what makes this story amazing to me!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Cities.