Jo.'s Reviews > New York to Dallas

New York to Dallas by J.D. Robb

Sep 17, 11

bookshelves: crime-and-thriller, romance
Read from September 12 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I'll start by saying it took me a little longer than normal to really get into this adventure in the 'In Death' series. I blame that, partly, on the continued use of the abbreviation Dallas uses for 'analysis'. (Seriously. Shortening words might be hip and all the rage in the future but someone saying 'start the anal' is a sure-fire way to make me double-take and wonder what the heck I'm reading...)

Anyway. That aside, I really enjoyed this book once I got into it. The bad guy wasn't as intriguing to me as normal but I loved the glimpse of his past with Eve - and the fact it was apprehending him that introduced her to Feeney and Homicide in the first place. Add that to him deliberately bating her and taking her back to Dallas, and involving two of the girls she helped rescue in the first instance...

Then the twist with his partner, which I kinda suspected but was still somehow shocked by when it played out on the pages.

I loved seeing Eve's struggle in this story. Yes, she's struggled in the past novels but usually she fights with Roarke, they stew for a couple of pages/chapters and then make up, and she's magically well equipped to deal emotionally and mentally with whatever's thrown her way. That wasn't the case in this novel, with her struggling even as Roarke (and Mira) supported her all the way, and I adored the conversation between the three of them when Mira arrived in Dallas. It made me think of the first conversation Eve & Mira had way back when at the beginning of the series and seeing how far they've all come since then was really great.

The only other thing I can say about this novel is that, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I did miss seeing the regular faces I've come to know and love from the series. I wanted Peabody and Feeney to show up in Dallas, though I know why they didn't and it makes sense that they didn't - still, I wanted to see their reactions to the twist regarding the partner and I wanted to see how they interacted with Eve as a result. Maybe in the next novel, there'll be some kind of continuation and we'll get to see that - I hope so, anyway.

Overall, 'New York to Dallas' is a fantastic and welcome addition to the 'In Death' series, and I'm still amazed that 30-something books in, I still want more. Kudos to JD Robb/Nora Roberts for creating a series with such interesting characters that it's still going strong after all this time.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New York to Dallas.