Kelley's Reviews > The Historian

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Apr 22, 08

bookshelves: four-stars

Really 4 1/2 stars! I loved the writting there were TONS of beautiful descriptions of many locations thru Eastern Europe and made me DYING to go on a trip!!! The end of the story was a little lame...especially since the writting was so captivating for 600 of 679 pages!

Excerpt

Our next trip took us east again, beyong the Julian Alps. The little town of Kostanjevica "place of the chestnut tree," was ihdeed full of chestnuts at this time....we were enjoying the end of a warm autumnal day - in the local dialect, this was called gypsy summer, and I reflected on the differences between the Western world, a few hundred kilometers away, and this Eastern one, just a little south of the Emona. Here everything in the stores looked like everything else, and the shop clerks too seemed to me exactly like one another, in royal blue work coats and flowered scarves, their gold or stainless steel teeth glinting at us over the half-empty counter. We had bought and enormous chocolate bar to supplement our picnic of sliced salami, brown bread, cheese and my favorite Naranca, and orange drink that reminded me already of Ragusa, Emona, Venezia.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Historian.