Jessi's Reviews > The Forgetting Curve

The Forgetting Curve by Angie Smibert

May 15, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-sophomores
Read from May 13 to 15, 2012

The Forgetting Curve picks up right where Momento Nora left off, transporting us across the ocean to Winter's cousin, Aiden, living in Switzerland. Winter sent him the "Memento" comic book that we were introduced to previously. Aiden distributes the comic in Switzerland right before taking off for the US to spend the summer interning with the Nomura company.

Diving back into this world is a real trip. The sights and sounds are all familiar enough that the reader realizes this is a very near-future type of dystopia--the kind of thing that could happen if we really let out big electronics companies climb in bed with our governments. The world-building is once again well-done as we explore slightly different parts of the world and see it through different eyes.

The POVs that we get in The Forgetting Curve are markedly different that those from Momento Nora, and I mean that it a good way! I especially enjoyed Aiden's narration because he had such different experiences and insights. From the moment that he starts working for the Normura company, he begins to suspect that there's a lot going on that isn't out in the public eye and a lot that isn't "good" and people wouldn't want. The idea of forgetting the bad stuff might be appealing but how would people feel if they realized they were on the path to having their thoughts controlled and manipulated?

If you haven't taken the time to read Momento Nora, then I highly recommend that you purchase these two books together. They are quick, fascinating reads that pull you in to a highly manipulative technological future that, who knows, maybe we'll have to deal with someday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgetting Curve.

05/13/2012 page 94