Nancy O'Toole's Reviews > Thirteen

Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: library, paranormal
Read from August 01 to 04, 2012

The members of the Supernatural Liberation Movement are sick of living in hiding, and are prepared to reveal the existence of the paranormal to the wider world. But Savannah Levine and her friends fear that such a revelation would result in another inquisition, and know they must be stopped. Taking down the SLM will require the efforts of all of the women of the Otherworld, including members that have already moved on to the afterlife.

Thirteen is the final book in Kelley Armstrong's wildly successful Otherworld series. Thirteen has a lot of elements that will appeal to longtime fans of the series. For the first time in thirteen books, you really get to see all of the protagonists from the Otherworld series work together (with the exception of Robyn from Living with the Dead, which I didn't really mind). Beloved secondary characters make a return, as well as some surprise returning minor villains. Thirteen, like all of the Women of the Otherworld books, is swift moving and presents the reader with plenty of exciting suspense. There was one scene in particular that left me mouth agape in shock.

At the same time, Thirteen is far from one of the strongest novels in the Otherworld series. Reading through it made me realize that while Kelley Armstrong may do exceptionally well at telling self-contained stories, she fumbles a bit with building larger one. More specifically, she struggles with the big pay off at the end of a larger story. Perhaps some of my frustration is my own fault, but when I saw that covered described Thirteen as the “epic” finale to the series, I came in with big expectations such as world changing events, or significant character deaths. Instead, despite the large cast, the stakes seemed only about just as high as a typical Otherworld novel. I also found myself disappointed with the villains. As a result, I often felt underwhelmed while reading Thirteen, as if the author had pulled her punches and the book didn't have the same impact as a result.

Although I had a fun time reading Thirteen, I can't also deny that it wasn't always quite what I was looking for. Perhaps the fault lies more in me than anything. Armstrong clearly told a sucessful tale here, but it just wasn't the one that I was hoping for. Still, I think that every Otherworld fan should pick up this book. I really enjoyed getting to see all of my favorite characters back again and it was great to see how things ended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen.

08/01/2012 page 276
62.0% "Due back at the library soon. Good thing it's a quick read."
08/04/2012 page 444
100.0% "just finished this one. not quite as epic as the cover may have promised, but still a good read."