Tamora Pierce's Reviews > Dear Bully: Seventy Authors Tell Their Stories

Dear Bully by Megan Kelley Hall

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in September, 2011

79 writers describe their bully experiences--as victims or as bullies--in essay, poem, or graphic form in this book. Everything is brief, so some of the pieces seem a bit pat, but the experiences are varied, and what one person says doesn't work, such as "ignore them" does work for someone else. There's plenty of food for thought here, for teenagers and adults. A couple of writers even point out that bullying doesn't stop at college and adulthood.

The main points that aren't stressed, but that come across simply when the book is read, is that kids cannot deal with this on their own, and that they must have intelligent sympathy from adults. It does them no good to be told to fight back if they aren't fighters in the physical sense and if they are the ones who are punished. Bullies are good at turning the issue onto their victims, and too many authority figures, for a number of reasons, favor them. School personnel has to learn to listen to all parties fairly and without allowing themselves to be bullied by families. In other words, we need a group effort to deal with something that is killing our kids.

This is a book that should be in school and public library collections, possibly in multiple copies. I think the fact that so many high-powered writers have contributed with make it interesting to kids who might not otherwise pick up such a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Bully.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by An Odd1 (new)

An Odd1 Actors, writers, scientists, achieved greatness escaping from peer pressure. I remember authorities more bad than helpful. Phone lines may help. Distressing issue, abuse.