Trish's Reviews > Block Party: The Modern Quilting Bee - The Journey of 12 Women, 1 Blog, & 12 Improvisational Projects

Block Party by Alissa Carlton

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: art, color, favorite, quilting, nonfiction
Read in September, 2011

Several of the quilts featured in this book stopped in in my tracks. It also helped me remember that I have a bevy of sewing sisters who never feel they have the time to take on a big quilting project, but like the idea of having a quilt of their own. Many of the quilts featured in this book have large patches of solid fabric, which showcase the great patterned fabric the quilting group chose. I always knew simpler designs calmed me and don't grow tiresome, but usually it is fabric, rather than design, which gets my creative juices flowing.

So, give this book a whirl--it will definitely spark some desire to be involved in a virtual quiltng bee. What they do is choose a design and specify a finished size for their blocks. Then the coordinator for a quilt sends fabric pieces out to the group, and they send back the block(s). The coordinator puts it all together creatively and quilts it up and voilà! They have a quilt with far less effort. Of course, then they help everyone else with their designs...so they learn as they go, without stress. Besides that, many of these women have websites which are sure to make your life interesting. Check out a few: Philistine Made; Film in the Fridge; Unraveled; Looking In. Who wants to start a quilting circle?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Block Party.