Beth's Reviews > Ponies

Read in September, 2011

I want to cry.

I want to be sick.

I just...

Well, I sort of want to scream at Kij Johnson. Not because "Ponies" is bad but because it's just so good.

It's unbearably good. My stomach actually hurts. And it's so short - my GR friend, Flann, made a comment on my review about, by the time she'd left her comment, I'd have finished. And I had! (Goodreads magic!)

Visceral. It's the best kind of sci-fi, the stuff that is so rare (especially now, to sound like a kids-these-days whiner): it takes what sounds like a totally ludicrous concept and yet manages to tap into something recognisable. Fear. Friendship. Bitchy girls, and the normal girls who want to be friends with the bitchy girls.

I regret reading it, in a way, but in others, it is just THAT. GOOD.

I don't know whether to recommend it. Let me tell you: for a very short story with Candy Fairy Princess ponies (unicorns?), this book is far more brutal than I was expecting. Comparable to "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson.

"You don't have a pony."

And I want to cry all over again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ponies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Flannery I like that you added this to currently-reading. By the time you read my comment, you'll probably be done.

Beth Haha...just done. :)

Flannery For the longest time, I was absolutely uninterested in short stories. I felt a lot of the time that I wished they were full-length books so they could be fully developed or elicit some sort of emotional response. In the last couple of months, I've grown to seriously love them. It is so crazy to me that a story like this one can take 5 or 10 minutes to read but make more of an impact than most longer books.

message 4: by Arlene (new)

Arlene This book looks scary. :/

Beth @Flann -- me too! But I'm so glad for GR, because you really got me into the amazing ones. I agree - I think that less-is-more really, really works and have such a punch.

@Arlene - have you read The Lottery? It's kinda like that. But, yep, scary. And weiiiiird.

message 6: by Arlene (new)

Arlene @ Beth, I haven't read The Lottery, but now you have me curious. Scary and weird is a good combo. :P

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It goes beyond scary into the wounding territory. But maybe I'm too empathetic were reading is concerned.