Kristie's Reviews > Cleopatra's Daughter

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

F_50x66
Sep 12, 11

I loved this book! Of course I did - it's historical fiction, my favorite genre.

There were several strengths to the story worth mentioning:

1. Moran has obviously done her research. The details about the clothing, the food, the architecture, etc. really added to the feel of the novel.

2. I had to do quite a bit of research to understand the "characters" in the novel. Even though I knew how the story would end based on history, I thought Moran was clever to add the mystery of the "Red Eagle" as a plot device. It certainly kept my interest.

3. I love how Moran took historical details (and myths) to weave a clever story.

I have a few minor critiques of the book. I felt like the novel (for whatever reason) was Egyptian-biased. Perhaps it's just me, but I felt as though Moran was inaccurately portraying Egypt as the more civilized culture than Rome (e.g. Selene's "shock" at the treatment of slaves).

It was also slightly jarring when Moran would use improper terms, which she admitted on her Website, for certain items. For example, I'm sure that sailors wouldn't use the term "miles" when discussing the distance to Rome. For someone who did so much research, making it "easier" for the readers seems a bit of a cop out.

Overall, a wonderful story that will teach you about history and culture at the same time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cleopatra's Daughter.