Tuck's Reviews > The Anxiety of Everyday Objects

The Anxiety of Everyday Objects by Aurelie Sheehan

Sep 23, 11

bookshelves: oh-loyd-i-wanna-be-hearkbroken
Read from September 12 to 23, 2011

a fine novel that reminded me of Lucy Ellmann and Muriel Spark ("A far cry from Kensington") in that the narrative quickly jumps back and forth between Winona's interactions with her employers, family and friends and her inner thoughts and dialog (mostly her thinking about the movie she wants to make called "the anxiety of everyday objects"). so it is a fun and funny read, when not terribly sad and downhearted, seeing the character think about her art and seeing the character think about being a "secretary" in a law office (in, by the way, another great character in the book, the Chrysler Building). I want to read more Aurelie Sheehan. There is a lot of interesting and thought provoking ideas here about friendship, feminism, sex, race, living in the city, work, money, style, art, and more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anxiety of Everyday Objects.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ (last edited Sep 23, 2011 08:06AM) (new)

MJ Nicholls OK now I have to read her. Her story collection Jack Kerouac Is Pregnant is published by Dalkey.

Tuck i feel like Sheehan has a lot going for her, she is a subtle ali smith? i am not surprised dalkey is all over it. makes me proud.