Will Saunders's Reviews > Making Our Democracy Work: A Judge's View

Making Our Democracy Work by Stephen G. Breyer

Feb 15, 12

Read in February, 2012

I read this book about 9 months ago. But after Justice Breyer and his family was robbed last week, I pulled my book out and read through it again. I didn't read the book completely from cover-to-cover the second time around like I did the first time.

Justice Breyer is my favorite justice, because his legal ethics have always been so impeccable and beyond reproach. He's one of the few justices that proactively considers recusal on matters presumed to have a personal interest for him. That's impresive to me. Nonetheless, this book is a great one that highlights the US Supreme Court and its practices. I saw him on the Today Show in early 2011 and I was very enamored by him.

This book provides a lot of history into the Supreme Court and the process behind the way in which the Court makes decisions and renders rulings. This book will be appreciated by anyone with an interest in US history, the democratic government processes, and criminal and civil jurisprudence. Definitely a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Our Democracy Work.