Kayleigh's Reviews > The Very Hungry Caterpillar

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

F_50x66
Sep 12, 11

Read in September, 2011

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is a great book to introduce colours, numbers and different types of food at a young age. I remember enjoying reading this in school individually and in class groups. It was made fun in counting from numbers 1-10 and learning and recognising different colours. I like the fact that the book, on face value, is very colourful and an insect in which many younger children would find intriguing (I certainly did!).

The story within in the book shows how an insect complains of being hungry and what it does in order to fix this problem. The insect incidentally seeks foods being apples, pears, plums, strawberries and oranges, foods that we introduce to children as being healthy and ‘good for you’. In addition, the hidden message here is if these foods are then being eaten by the children they will then grow big and strong like the caterpillar did and turn into something big and beautiful. Other foods such as ‘chocolate cake and ice-cream’ are also used because the children would most likely enjoy eating these foods as a reward for eating their healthy foods beforehand. This subsequently keeps the children entertained and interested in the book thus including food that they would most probably enjoy most. The discussions within the classroom could be limitless with the use of this book including number patterns ie. The caterpillar having 1-2-3-4 bites out of the fruits. The children would also become familiar with the different fruits, what colours they are and even how they taste. It is very basic but a way of introducing important structure within the classroom being number and spelling. The book also has the element of being interactive and fun, putting little holes through the pages (big enough for the children’s fingers) to where the caterpillar had been eating.

The book has affected me as positively as the first day I read it back in nursery and reception. I still remember familiarising with this book, helping me to learn how to read aswell as the other elements previously mentioned. I give this book a 5 out 5 star rating as there are so many possibilities to open doors into other areas of learning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Very Hungry Caterpillar.