Holly's Reviews > Daughter of the Saints: Growing Up in Polygamy

F 50x66
Apr 30, 08

Recommended to Holly by: Lara
Read in April, 2008

This was a very interesting book. It provides the history of the Allred family, how they became polygamists and how they practice modern polygamy. Being raised in Salt Lake these names and events were slightly familiar to me but it was fascinating to see how all the big name families (Rulon Jeffs, Kingstons, LeBarons etc.) intertwined. The author is the daughter of the past leader of the Allred family. Her father seemed like a good man who got a little off course. He really seemed to be focused on pleasing God but he still had several flaws as a man. That aside, there were so many issues that illustrated the adverse affects of polygamy. There were too many to list. Here are a few: 1. One man cannot provide emotionally or financially for many wives and children. Her father did seem to love them but because of the sheer number of them there was not enough of him to go around. 2. The women were trying to contribute to the common good but lost their individuality in the process. I think the children also had a difficult time figuring out where they fit in their large family. 3. The different families always seemed to be jockeying for power and authority since there is no clear leader amongst them all. Sometimes women and children are used in the process. 4. Because their way of life is illegal, the children are taught to avoid telling the truth at a very young age. And I could go on. It was nice to read after reading Escape only because although the lifestyle of the family in this book was oppressive and they did not seem happy, the Jeffs family made them seem almost mainstream.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Saints.

message 1: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Are you preparing to start your own sect? If it is yours it will definately have to be politically motivated. Maybe the Are You Down With the HO's Sect.

Janette I just put this book on hold. Did you know the original title was "Predators, Prey and Other Kinfolk"? Very interesting. I thought this was a more gentle sect. Do I really want to know about the predators and prey?