Hannah Kirchner's Reviews > SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper

SEAL Team Six by Howard E. Wasdin

Sep 12, 11

If you've read a lot of books on SEALs, you'll start to connect various operators and missions that crop up again and again, which is interesting to note. The books aren't incredibly indepth because they can't be. And because SEALs (probably by training) aren't the most introspective types, you don't hear a lot of internal analysis about their lives, feelings, or families. That kind of thought process would paralyze men used to life-in-the-moment action. If you've read lots of SEALs books, the language gets a bit monotonous after awhile. It's very hooyah, but that's their makeup.

It has given me an insight on how people can survive and thrive despite incredible odds to the contrary. I used to think being brave was a willful decision. But these guys are set up for this work by high pain threshold, long training for toughness, low fear factor (they don't get rattled) and mental makeup. A ton of this is training and environment, but a lot of it is their emotional makeup as well.

I've noticed in reading SEALs books that a lot of these guys had rougher than usual childhoods. They learned things like hypervigilance, hard work, imperviousness to pain, and an ability to wall things off emotionally that set them up well to be SEALs. Interesting read but nothing surprising. I find these books don't go deep enough for me, but they can't. A good read is Marcus Luttrell's SEALs memoir "Lone Survivor."
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SEAL Team Six.