Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum's Reviews > The Undertaker

The Undertaker by William F. Brown

Oct 06, 11

Read from September 12 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy

The Undertaker by William F. Brown was a fast-paced and thrilling read. I was hooked from the very beginning, when Peter Talbott, a software engineer living in Boston, still grieving from the loss of his wife, is questioned by Gino Parini about an obituary featuring his and his wife's names in an Indiana newspaper.

Pete believes it to be a bizarre misunderstanding but he's angry that his wife's name is mentioned so he decides to ignore advice from Gino Parini to ignore it. What does he do next? He heads to Indiana to attend his own funeral to see what he can find out, of course!

I mean, what's not to love in a plot like this? His trip to the Funeral Home was electric, and the book was simply unputdownable at this point. (It was an e-book, so perhaps what I really mean is that I couldn't bring myself to switch the power button off).

The tension and action just keep on building, however in many thrillers, often the main character makes ridiculous choices that make you groan out loud, "no", or "don't do that." I was pleasantly surprised to find this wasn't the case here.

There is a 'girl' in The Undertaker, and a little romance, however don't fret, she isn't a ditzy, blonde bombshell. Author William Brown manages to strike a really good balance between avoiding the usual stereotypes, and also steering clear of the unbelievable sexy Lara Croft style character.

The plot was cleverly layered and always swiftly moving, engaging and entertaining. Thoroughly recommended for all readers who enjoy thrillers, suspense, mystery and crime novels.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Undertaker.

09/13/2011 page 40