Audrey's Reviews > Angels and Ages: A Short Book About Darwin, Lincoln, and Modern Life

Angels and Ages by Adam Gopnik

F 50x66
Sep 14, 2011

liked it
Read from September 12 to 14, 2011

Are you an Abraham Lincoln fan? How about Charles Darwin? Are you an agnostic or, horrors, an atheist?
If so, this is the slim, entertaining volume for you. Adam Gopnik has combined two of his New Yorker articles to create an homage to modern rational thought. Gopnik's focus on Darwin and Lincoln's writing styles allows him to drill down through the mountains of information available on both men and to present apt illustrations of both men's canniness and deep thought. The book's well-considered title winds up being the center post of the author's theory that modern humans can live in a world without the consoling existence of a Supreme Being by keeping our focus simultaneously on the great sweep of time as illustrated by Darwin's over-arching theory and Lincoln's commitment to history, and on the minutia of both the natural world and the slow incremental pace of the law's progress. My own clumsy constructions should not put you off; Gopnik's writing is clear, accessible and entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels and Ages.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Heron (new)

Heron I'm all of these things!

Audrey Heron wrote: "I'm all of these things!"

Can one be both an agnostic and an atheist? I suppose you could be agnostic as to Pantheism. Hmmmmm.