Laura Newcombe's Reviews > Crazy

Crazy by Amy Reed

I’ve always loved contemporary, sometimes even more than I love any other genre. There was a time, however, when I almost gave up reading it completely. I needed more from it – a depth, intelligence and seriousness that I could only find in science fiction. I searched high and low for a contemporary that would deliver; something that would blow my mind, keep me up until the single digit hours of morning and that I would think about long after I’d turned the last page. Then I finally found it when I read CRAZY.

Connor and Izzy have a bizarre and beautiful friendship. Now that their summer of being art counselors at camp has ended, they stay in touch via email. At first, the exchanges are funny and they banter back-and-forth so effortlessly, it’s impossible to deny their instant chemistry. Then things start to change. Izzy starts to experience crazy ups-and-downs that show in each one of her return letters and Connor starts to fear the worst about her unpredictable behavior, but at the same time he doesn’t want to betray Izzy’s trust by talking to someone. What follows is a touching coming of age story with a difference as Amy Reed brings to life a young girl with a mental illness and the boy who refuses to give up on her.

The format of this book was wonderful. It’s easily accessible and flows neatly from start to finish. Unlike diary entries, which I find to be long and boring, reading from the perspective of the characters emails was far more compelling. It was a welcomed approach to view their very different lives.

As far as main characters go, Connor and Izzy are fantastic. Their growth throughout the book is very sincere and the emotions they divulge in each of their exchanges are equal parts real and complex. It was so easy for me to sympathize and connect with both of them from the beginning and not once did my feelings waver.

Once again, Reed’s unique writing style has left me speechless. It is vibrant yet somber at the same time, illuminating some of the darker paragraphs. She does not shy away from the more intense problems teens deal with today and instead tackles these issues boldly, rewarding us with stunning novels like CRAZY.

So I only have one final piece of advice – if you’re feeling a little lost, like I was, looking everywhere for a powerful, heartrending read that’ll change your mind about YA contemporaries, then I suggest you go CRAZY.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy.

Quotes Laura Liked

Amy Reed
“What if talking about your feelings doesn't fix anything? What if what you really need is to make the feelings go away?”
Amy Reed, Crazy

12/26/2011 page 233
60.68% "There's something so comforting about Reed's writing. I never want this story to end." 8 comments
12/27/2011 page 345
90.0% "Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy...yep, she's got me. I'm sobbing. Just so beautiful. Just too damn beautiful."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mesa (new) - added it

Mesa ohhh I can't wait to read this! I loved Amy other book, and I'm really looking forward to this.

Laura Newcombe She's really wonderful, isn't she? Crazy is just flawless. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Alyssa I never know how to talk about this book, which is the one reason why I haven't written my review for it yet. You said everything I can't find the words to - awesome review Laura :)