Jen's Reviews > The Heart of the Matter

The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene

Sep 14, 11

Read in September, 2011

This is again beautifully and thoughtfully written but without so much of the humour that was in "Our Man in Havana". It's a very interesting insight into the thought processes of the main character particularly in relation to his Catholicism something which is particularly relevant to me as an ex-Catholic myself, perhaps that's one of the reasons why I found it such a sad book, I find it difficult to deal with people being caught up with Catholic dilemmas now that I don't really agree with much of what I was "taught" by the church. Still it is an excellent book and I would recommend it to others but it is a little depressing so don't read it if you need a little lift! I should also mention that you shouldn't read the introduction if you've not read the book before, it totally gave away the end of the book which is perhaps another reason why I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have done as I already knew what was going to happen to the main character. A silly mistake on my part!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart of the Matter.