Dija's Reviews > Saving June

Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, wow, cotton-candy-fluff, ya, surprisingly-good, authors-i-stalk, second-chances, my-reviews
Recommended for: Fans of Sarah Dessen and YA fiction on coming to terms with the death of a family member
Read on October 14, 2011

***FAVORITE YA OF 2011***

My heart hurts. So, so badly.

5 Beautiful Things About Saving June:

1. Harper. She is so real. She has a lot of spunk and I have immense respect for her and the way she dealt with June's death and all the other issues in her life. While reading this book, I came to love Harper like I would a best friend. She's an amazing, down-to-earth, and strong heroine. She doesn't whine or complain and isn't reduced to a pile of girly goo when falling in love. Basically, she's mature.

2. Jake. Like Harper, Jake is a very well-developed character with a constant air of mystery. He could be a real jerk at times, but it's completely understandable given the life he's led. I love his passion for music and his belief that all of life's problems can be solved by listening to a good song.

3. Laney. What an amazing best friend! Her loyalty and support for Harper define her character, and I loved reading about the love and understanding between the two friends.

4. Jake and Harper. Could these two be more cute? I think not. They're simply adorable together, constantly bickering and getting on each others' nerves to try to hide the attraction between themselves. I loved watching them fall in love. They're absolutely perfect for each other!

5. The writing. I came this close to crying, and I haven't done that at all since I read Thirteen Reasons Why, around 3 years ago. If that's not an indication of powerful and beautiful writing, I don't know what is.

Favorite Quotes:

I want to stop running away from everything.
I want to find something to run toward.

And she told me when I was suspended in the air for just a moment, I looked like a bird flying out of its cage.
Maybe that was what she wanted all along. To be set free.

There is so much beauty in just existing. In being alive.
I don’t want to miss a second.

Life goes on, I’m going on, even without her. Not every day hurts. Not every breath hurts.
Maybe that’s all we can really ask for.

For more reviews, visit my blog.
31 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving June.

Quotes Dija Liked

Hannah Harrington
“It always struck me in years after how bizarre it was, how two people could look at one another with such tenderness and complete love, and how quickly that could dissolve into nothing but bitterness.”

Hannah Harrington
“It's so stupid because all I wanted was space and now that I have it, there's this part of me that's achingly lonely I could die.”

Hannah Harrington
“You cannot be in love with someone you've really only known for barely a week and on top of that someone who drives you crazy most of the time. No matter how goodlooking and charming and interesting and understanding he may be. Not even if he's the one person who makes you feel like yourself.
tags: love

Hannah Harrington
“I still go to bed sad, and wake up sad, and it still hurts like hell, but there are moments during the day when it hurts less. Sometimes I can think of June and not want to burst into tears or put my fist through a wall. Sometimes I'm close to happy and it doesn't even hurt. Much. I'll never be the way I was before, but maybe that's okay. Life goes on, I'm going on, even without her. Not every day hurts. Not every breath hurts.

Maybe that's all we can really ask for.”

Hannah Harrington
“Jake was right - I'm strong in a way June never was. Because I know that I want to be here. Even with the pain. Even with the ugliness.”

Hannah Harrington
“So really, it isn't as if noticing something like his well-toned biceps or his seriously long eyelashes means anything - other than a confirmation of the fact that I'm not blind.”

10/14/2011 page 42
13.0% "This book is too raw. My eyes are beginning to prickle already."
47.0% "I've missed reading books like this, books that completely isolate me from the world and make me feel every single thing that happens to the characters."
80.0% "I love Harper. I really, really do."

Aly is so frigging bored Geeez woman! What's with you and YA?! You need a break, maybe a holiday from it ;;)

Dija Dude, I read two adult novels prior to reading this. After this, I plan on reading an adult novel again. So I'm not completely a YA reader; it's just you who can't stand the genre. :P

Aly is so frigging bored I don't know about that :)) every time I go to your page to see what you're reading I see a YA novel! It's starting to get on my nerves :D

Dija Well, I have been reading YA a lot these days. I'm just feeling really sick of adult PNR/UF and most contemporary romance isn't really appealing to me right now. :/ But I don't really consider whether it's a YA or adult novel before reading it, it's all about whether or not it sounds interesting to me at that moment.

Aly is so frigging bored Try some historicals and maybe yuo'll get over this :)

Dija Got any good ones to recommend?

Aly is so frigging bored Hmmm... I love Eloisa James and all her books :D so you can choose anyone of them(but make sure they're the first in the series 'cuz their interconnected or any of the 2 in the Fairytale series) or Mine Till Midnight by Kleypas or The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran(if you want something more dark)...

Whatever you want to start you can tell me to give you more details if you want :)

Dija Right now, I'm leaning more towards It Had to Be You.

Aly is so frigging bored It's so funny :D I love the funeral scene :D

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Lovely review Dija! Need to get myself a copy ;)

message 11: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Thanks, Aly! And you must read this book, it's absolutely amazing! Hope you enjoy it if/when you get around to reading it!

Aly is so frigging bored The other Aly true? :D

message 13: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Yes, the "other" Aly, LOL. :P

Laura I LOVED this book! You make me want to read it again! Wonderful review! I loved the-“isn't reduced to a pile of girly goo”—made me giggle. :D

message 15: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija Thank you, Laura! I loved this book, and I'm so glad it's popular with other YA readers as well. :D

Mikaela i read 13 reasons why, it was a pretty good book. I really enjoyed reading about Harper and Jake discovering thier feelings for each other. My favourite quote: 'Deciding to kiss Jake is like standing on the edge of a pool,staring down and wanting to take the leap, but fearing how cold the water will be. Ihold my breath and jump.'

message 17: by Dija (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dija I love that quote as well, Mikaela! This book is filled with awesome passages. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading this book. 8D

Mikaela yeh i really enjoyed reading all the metaphors, there were so many, i thought it was funny when she makes a joke about metaphors

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 13, 2012 04:10PM) (new)

Lovely review, Dija. :)